Author Topic: Predator Quest RUFFIDAWG COAXER  (Read 4154 times)

uncle buck

Predator Quest RUFFIDAWG COAXER
« on: December 17, 2014, 11:15:21 PM »
I wonder why this call makers sells his calls for $39.00.  His open reed call comes in 4 types.. The one in the subject mater is his high pitched open reed call...It does come with a lanyard and it has a DVD how to use video with it.. So maybe that why he charges $39.00 for it at Cabelas... I always look at them along with the (5.00-$20.00 calls and Cabelas but find it hard to even try this at that price.. Anyone ever use Predator Quest expensive open reed calls..I have paid for custom calls around that price already... He does sell  scopes and clothing (camo Hoodies) too!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:17:09 PM by uncle buck »

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Predator Quest RUFFIDAWG COAXER
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 07:10:06 AM »
I was going to buy his calls a couple of times and never did because of the price.   He can kill a coyote for sure.  I was always watched his show but stopped because of all the advertisments during the show.   when he gets a coyote you get a running list of his sponsors.   We took this male coyote using our Kings Camo, the Hornady 22-250 super performance from a TC Venture, my Burris Scope, and my Ruffi Dog Calls. 

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 04:09:17 PM »
Unclebuck, I have the call your referring to.I didn't pay that much for it but I didn't get a video with it either and its been several years.The call has a curved tone board which takes a little getting use to but it has some real potential in the right hands.I would recommend it to an experienced caller but would shop for a better price,39.00 is a bit much.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 05:02:51 PM »
First off you can not sell custom calls in any box store and stay afloat.  Production calls have to be made by the hundreds if not thousands to really maintain any decent profit.

If you are the Original Manufacturer (OM) you have to make a minimum 100 percent profit to pay for existing inventory which includes parts, labor, packaging, electric, tools and so on.  You also have to continue to produce new inventory.  If you sell to a box store, you will sell them at a wholesale cost.  That same box store needs to make 100 percent profit as well so the wholesale price is doubled to retail.

In a nut shell, a call that cost me $10 to make is sold (usually) to cabelas for $20.  Cabelas turns around and sells the call for $39.  One dollar short of forty which is a marketing strategy often used by retailers.

It does not suprise me that the call cost so much.  Look at Fox Pro's prices, same thing.  It sucks but thats the way it has to be unless you have your manufacturing done over seas.  It's the way of the world and it's only getting worse.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 07:08:55 PM »
Thank you all for your comments on this... Now I'm a bit more educated on the call business.  I  don't think I would want to get into business selling predator things... I'd make more money selling the Brooklyn Bridge!  I could never be a used car salesman!  Yep kind of glad I worked for Uncle.. there were times I wish that I would have gone to college and learned Mycology...However I'd turn out to be a liberal  professor somewhere and end up in hell...

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 09:17:02 PM »
Lookn4fur
I was ok with the stuff you said but why do you think it is getting worse?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:18:30 PM by Buckwheat »
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 10:39:04 PM »
It still amazes me that custom calls are so cheap. Look at waterfowl calls and then you'll realize a 40 dollar call is a bargain. Id pay 100 bux for some of the customs i got at a cheaper price any day of the week.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 10:57:10 PM »
Bigben
That is a fact Ben. I made calls that take 3 to 5 hours each. Just like your howlers. If some one offered you a job for what you make on calls,  you would tell them to get real. LOL
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 06:42:32 PM »
In all  fairness to Predator Quest Ruffidawg Coaxer call... It did come with a a DVD,  lanyard, and a pack of reeds that you can change out that are not like the one installed... I did buy one last Saturday but I did not pay $39.00 for it.. Cabelas had it marked down on sale for $29.00.  So hence why I purchased it.. I got to watching the DVD today and I learned a few things on how he makes his mouse squeaks compared to how I make mine... I will use his method on my other open reed calls.. I did have subject call doing some nice field mice sounds... However as far as fluttering my tongue on the roof of my mouth to make bird calls. I don't think a predator would even look my way... taking my Peewee Crit-R-Call and doing what he said to do it even enhanced more calling with my favorite call.. Crit-R-Call Peewee... I have paid $7.00 for them. However I have been using that call for 29 years now too.. So again it wouldn't be fare to compare the subject call to the $10.00 Peewee Call... Subject call can do rabbit, jackrabbit, pups, kiyi, bird, fieldmice, and even some nice high pitched coyote vocals.. However I can do many of  the sounds above with many of the open reed elk calls..  the ones that are designated as elk  cow calls.. If you see them on clearance buy one and use it as a predator call.. they can sing too!!!

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 08:01:26 AM »
I say it is getting worse because of the cost of labor, manufacturing and parts continue to rise.  People have to constantly raise their prices to earn a living.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 08:09:18 AM »
Bigben
That is a fact Ben. I made calls that take 3 to 5 hours each. Just like your howlers. If some one offered you a job for what you make on calls,  you would tell them to get real. LOL

Thats why its called a hobby.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”