Author Topic: Gnawing critter  (Read 5863 times)

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Gnawing critter
« on: December 09, 2014, 11:50:01 AM »
 >:( >:( >:( Some darn critter ruined one of my rat hides by gnawing on it while still on the stretcher  :o :o :o :o...it's time for DECON...I've never had this problem before  ??? ??? ??? so it's WAR  8) 8) 8)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Gnawing critter
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 12:17:36 PM »
Goose,   I don't think those critters are going to bring too much on the fur market !!   Thats going to have to be strictly a "pleasure hunt" !!!
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 03:36:48 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Yea but it will keep the few pennys I git for the other furs in place!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 07:15:16 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D You are a mess ::) ::) ::) ::) try not to snap the RAT trap on your fingers  :P :P :P :P if you need help with trap placement and bait call me  ;) ;)............. 8)

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 05:26:52 AM »
 >:( >:( >:( Another Gnawing critter is a vehicle  ??? ??? ??? ??? $207 for brakes yesterday  :-\ :-\ :-\ a vehicle is just another hole in the road that we keep throwing money into  :P :P :P :P but I guess it beats walking ::) ::) ::)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 06:33:06 AM »
Goose, where's the Mice catch pictures?

Am setting a Mice trap line in my shed today...

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 09:18:37 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D Mentally picture several boxes of DECON and you have it  :o :o :o :o
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 10:54:52 AM »
 >:( Well there you have it Hern  ::) Mr. Congeniality doesn't want to share with his buds... ;D ;D ;D I to was hoping for a picture  ;) Mom must be cutting into his retirement time again  :P :P :P  the Beavers moved and didn't leave a forwarding address  >:( >:(  the car  >:( >:(  and the weather..NO Sunshine....it's just awful.... >:( >:(......... 8).........PS: He could be using the mousies to bait his fox sets and finally catch that one that has been eluding him for years  :o before it dies of old age  :P.......

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 01:13:21 PM »
Decon. Some trapper you are.
Anyone getting any Snow? We were suppose to get 1"-2" today and flurries.
Snyder County, We now have at least 6" and still snowing intently. I was going calling tonight but think I'll stay home.

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 01:53:00 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Guess I'm "Dated" when I ask for where the DECON was at TSC.. ??? ??? ??? ??? they looked like I was speaking a foreign language... :P :P :P :P I said Rat killer and they said oh we have "Tom Cat"...what the :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ ...oh well I got some and some Victor finner pinchers.... ::) ::) ::) ::) now it's wait and see time  8) 8) 8) 8) Hern only flurries here in C-burg today....ground is still brown..
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 01:54:23 PM by Pa Goosehntr »
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Papa1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 08:44:15 PM »
"Jaguar".  I think that I spelled it right.  Pink bar w/a nail hole in the center.  One down a hole does it for the winter.  One in a shed w a finish nail-good for the winter.  Beats hell out of Tomcat.  Get it at Agway & S. S.  Dick
NRA Life-Benefactor   USP Member  SASS Life member  Mosquito Creek Life Member

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 08:16:22 AM »
9"-10" here yesterday plus an inch over night.

2 summers ago the neighbor barrow 2 Victor Rat traps to catch Chipmunks.
This fall he returned them, wood busted and rotting, springs and jaw rusted. But he did give me 2 new traps, for replacements...Tom Cats. First I've seen or used these traps. I had to make a few modifications, but I like Victor's Rat trap better.

For the ole Victor Mouse trap...with the metal pan and wooden pan, I place Peanut Butter on the bottom of the pan. Once I could not catch a mouse in the kitchen, for my wife. Pan was cleaned 3 days running. I got the idea to butter the under side of the pan and BINGO, I was the trapping hero at our house.

I did buy several 'new' Victor Mouse traps last year, because of a suggestion from a friend. This trap has a bowl to place Peanut Butter, the pan is large, pan has a hole when fired hole drops around bowl. The Mouse must stand on the pan to eat from the bowl. Very effective trap and well designed with no modifications needed. All plastic except for Springs and Jaw. Can be set with one hand and Mouse removed without touching Mouse. Neat trap.
Last winter, my son and I caught 30+ Mice in the new Victors with no misses.

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 09:13:38 AM »
 ??? ??? I have the old style Victors....gonna look for some like you described  ;) ;) ;)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 02:18:33 PM »
The new plastic "one hand" traps are good. For the wooden based victors....old trick from mom....creamy peanut butter and set trap. Then sorta burn lightly around the front edge of trap and melt the peanut butter so it drips on the wood under the pan. ;) ;)

Those "sticky traps" work well also. Place a dab of peanut butter in the middle of the glue.

Note~ place "sticky traps" where you would not or could not put your feet.  ::) ::) :D :D
Whatado !!!!
District 6
"When the queen is happy, There's peace in the kingdom."

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 08:01:27 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D... longhair..."mentally picture'" Goose with sticky traps  ;D ;D :o :o :o :o ::) ::) ::) ::) :P :P :P :P :'( :'( :'( :'( ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D................... 8)