Author Topic: Help out a Newbie!  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Matty_Iced

Help out a Newbie!
« on: September 04, 2014, 02:46:23 PM »
Hey Guys,

Wanted to introduce myself 23 year old looking to get into Predator hunting, in Lancaster County. I was wondering if anyone could share how they got started, concerning equipment; rifle cal., lights, calls, etc. Where to look to sell the fur, and maybe some tactics to consider to push me in the right direction to be successful. Any advice would be well received!

Stay deadly 8)

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Help out a Newbie!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 03:08:32 PM »
 ;) ;) Welcome MI....Advice?? research the topics in the Forum and you will gain a wealth of knowledge...the questions you ask have already been documented in detail under the various topics... ;D ;D
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Help out a Newbie!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 03:12:18 PM »
Matty,

If you ask 10 guys you'll get 10 diffrent answers.  What some guys swear by, other will swear at!!  Take the opinions of the membership, and try them all and see what works best for you in your area.  I'm from York County , just across the river from you.  The best thing you can do is team up with some one and observe.  If you ever want to get out, shoot me a message.....Have gun will travel !

Around here and I'm sure in Lancaster county, we have primarily red fox.  I use a combination of hand calls and electronic calling.  My best advice is this....Do it right the first time when it comes to purchaseing equipment.  You can buy "cheap" now, but if you stick with it, you'll end up with "better" down the road.

Fox Pro, in my opinion, makes by far one of the best sounding electronic calls out there, and you just can't beat their customer service!!  You can get into an entry level call for around $200.  Get a good headlamp to scan with while you are calling, and get a good scope mounted light to shoot with.  Most guys will go with the red lights, others claim white lights will work and not spook the predators.  I personally use red only.  I use a Savage 17 hornet with 20 gr V Max.  I take all head shots to keep the fur damage down.  The sounds I use vary from time of year.  I try to use sounds that others may not use.  I'll also use hand calls so I can change up the tone, pitch, rhythm, etc.

Keep checking the postings, I'm sure there will be pleanty of other members chimeing in with good sound advice.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!