Author Topic: 2014 ground hog season  (Read 20769 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
2014 ground hog season
« on: February 24, 2014, 02:14:47 PM »
Who's tired of seeing snow and ready to smack some hogs? 

I got a new to me savage 116 25-06 late last summer for a project gun.  Just got dies and bullets for it.  Once it warms up a little bit gonna try to work a load up for it.  Still need to load about 100 rds of .223 and 50 rounds of 6.5x284 yet for the upcoming season.

The .223 usually gets the nod for close work 0-300.  This 25-06 is going to be my windy day gun.  At 300 a stiff breeze pushes that 50gr vmax around a bit.  Im loading 100 gr sierras for the 25-06 hoping to hit 3200fps.  The 6.5 shoots a 140gr amax for distance. 

Can't wait to spend some warmer times in the field.  Looking to stretch my longest shot past 500 this year.  I'm right at 472 I believe now. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Deadeye

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Re: 2014 ground hog season
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 02:53:36 PM »
I think i'll try some hog hunting this year. Do you sit along a tree line at a hay field and wait for them to show or do you call to them? Any info will be helpful..........Thanks
Ron
Lancaster Co.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 03:04:59 PM »
I used to carry sticks and walk field edges waiting a half hour at each spot. Now i sit at locations that give me safe shots and bs with a friend till one shows or turn on the radio on my phone and enjoy the afternoon.  Here is sum of last years kills.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj45/bigben8011/final1_zps7d3da016.mp4

197 yd pistol kill.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 03:10:49 PM by bigben »
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline coon hunter

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 04:00:25 PM »
Thanks for sharing makes me want to go today.

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 05:08:00 PM »
It can't thaw fast enough for me. It should be a fun spring and summer helping the farmers get rid of these vermin!
It's also a great selling point on a new farm to come back and predator hunt in the fall. The old back scratching saying.
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 05:27:41 PM »
I'm ready!  Nice video Ben and good shoootin

Picked up a Winchester model 70 Stealth II in 243 WSSM last year, have a lot of loads I want to try this summer.  And of course the contender is always fun

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 06:03:26 PM »
That .243wssm sounds like a barrel burner. Any reason why ya got that over a normal .243 win?  Almost picked up a 7tcu a little bit back for the contender.

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 08:13:48 PM »
I'm a big 243 fan, Already have a couple of them.  Kinda always wanted a wssm ever since they came out with it.  Probably not something you would want to take to a prairie dog town, but they have a chrome lined barrel.  Keep it clean and cool, should last plenty long enough.

7tcu would be a fun caliber too.  Working on some 110gr loads for my 309JDJ for groundhogs this summer.  2900 or so out of a 14" barrel should work pretty good

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 08:20:46 PM »
Nice video Ben........ ;) ;)

TJ, you'll like the wssm. I know I like mine. ;) ;D ;D

After a few years of VERY limited hunt'n, I'm hope'n to carve out more time this year. Got a couple new lead spitters to try out. ;D ;D ;D

BTW~ the grass rats have been out for a few days although the "polar vortex" just might send back in fer a while. ::) ::)
Whatado !!!!
District 6
"When the queen is happy, There's peace in the kingdom."

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 08:01:35 AM »
I thought yo liked the .243. I personally dont see the point behind the wssm series. Seems like a waste of powder too me. But some like vanilla compared to chocolate.

I havent seen any hogs out yet but have heard of sightings. I have hunted in march before for fields that get too grown up. Unless this cold weather gets replaced by 50 deg days i doubt you'll see many for a while.

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 12:54:40 PM »
I like the WSSM series.  With anything though the better you take care of it the longer it will last.  Personally I think alot of "burned" out barrels are just extremely copper fouled.  I'm not saying it doesn't happen.  I just think its a false diagnosis alot of times. 
U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 01:25:47 PM »
I've found that it is more "lubalox" or "molycoat" on factory ammo that's the problem. As long as you keep it clean or shoot it daily, no problems. If when cleaning and you don't get it REALLY clean, then shoot a few shots, it's like concrete and VERY difficult to get it clean. >:(
Whatado !!!!
District 6

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 02:23:06 PM »
do you need some company someday in the grass rat field george?

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 02:51:47 PM »
do you need some company someday in the grass rat field george?

If I get overwhelmed, I'll keep you in mind. ;D ;D ;D
Whatado !!!!
District 6

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 04:25:52 PM »
what do you two use to clean your rifles?  I have been using sweets with a nylon bore brush till patch comes out clean then a shot or two of hopes no9 then dry patch.