Author Topic: How many is too many?  (Read 2756 times)

Offline mpdennylee

How many is too many?
« on: January 06, 2014, 12:49:49 AM »
I started predator hunting last year right around this time and was hooked.  It started out with just two of us, now we have up to 3 others that want to go.  Due to our work schedules and life in general it is usually just 3 of us.  I've been doing my homework, trying to educate myself.  I've checked this site along with another PA hunting site at least twice weekly since last year.  One thing I've learned from here is to turn the light on when you get out of the truck and leave it on until you get back in it.  Thats one of the many things we screwed up last year.  We started with a cheap light from HarborFreight with a red lens.  You can imagine how well that worked.  We each stepped our game up and bought EWT KillLights, VRL lights, NightEyes and even a Wicked Light.  My question is this.  If you were to hunt with a group of say 3 and you each have a scan light, how many lights should be scanning?  My intention is always to have one light scanning, but sometimes everyone is afraid they're gonna miss something.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: How many is too many?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 02:08:58 AM »
Most people are going to tell you that 2 is company and three's a crowd.  I do most of my hunting with a partner.  I try to avoid 3 people.  When we hunt together, we hunt pretty much back to back so to speak.  I'll take 180 degree's of the area and he'll take the other 180 degree's.  That works well so we aren't shineing the light on each other and in each other's eyes.  We each have a designated area and stick to that area!!

When the animal  is spotted, don't overshine him with both lights.  Use the "halo" of the light verses the center spot of the light.  Have the spotter stay on him while the shooter mounts the gun and waits until he comes into range.  Once in range, allow the shooter to turn on the shoot light and drop the hammer.

Always keep a light on him,   When one light goes on , then turn the other off.   Thats my advice.   I'm sure you'll get other opinions.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 07:20:42 AM »
You should all be scanning. or Have red lens in front of you.
I've hunted in group of 3-4 hunters.
If spread apart, the group must act as one and not be trigger happy. By that, if I don't have a shot, I don't take it and hope the next guy gets the kill. It's a group effort with 3-4 guys, make them understand that.
It's not how many you call in, it's how many you kill. So have a leader in your group to plan setups and safety and stress the group effort.

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 07:34:57 AM »
Thats  all excellent info.....
Wicked scanpro Lights ICOTEC Gc500
 Montgromery county,Pa 5C&5D
 District 2 PPHA/NRA Member

Offline Predator100x

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 07:48:12 AM »
I have hunted with 3-4 guys,still do,as Hern said,I found out through out the years that it takes a tremendous amount of self dissaplent on everyones part.We ALWAYS no were each other is at at all times,It is amazing how out of control things can get if a yote comes blowing in right in the middle of your group.I have seen this happen years back.As far as lights everyone scans light is on an scanning there area,more times than enough the guy I put down wind almost always gets the shooting.
Skin that one pilgrim and I'll fetch ya another!

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 12:24:52 PM »
I have a close friend who does 100 sets, 99 will be alone. he also kills more than just about anyone around. Take it for what its worth.

Ryan.
District 4