Author Topic: This crazy weather  (Read 335739 times)

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
This crazy weather
« on: December 22, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
 :P Went to check traps this morning and it was 59°...broke into a sweat with no problem. But what I thought would have been a night for critters to be moving, I came up with zilch :-[ Creek is up and I have traps under 6-10 inches of water, but my fox and DPs came up empty. ??? checked the mud since the snow is gone and there were no tracks, it was like the critters didn't move at all last night. :( I don't like this weather >:(
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Grass Stain

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
Re: This crazy weather
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 10:31:23 AM »
It destroyed my line also haven't caught anything but a coon this week. Well we will get to dig em all up and reset so the don't freeze to the ground now, Ohhh the joys of Trapping. Good Luck.
 :)
"Live Life for what tomorrow has to offer,Not for what yesterday has taken away!"

D.Sapko
District 6

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 04:21:03 PM »
At least we can put away snow camp for now :P
U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 06:59:14 PM »
I just walked the puppy and the yard was loaded with nightcrawlers.
U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 05:14:35 AM »
  :( :( NO TRACKS  :o :o :( :(  Did you get down on your knees and put your ear to the ground?? ::) That's an old Indian trick to see if you can hear them moving  ::) ::).. Works great when there aren't any tracks but you know their,there... ;D ;D ;D Hope this little tip helps   ;) ;).... 8)....

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 06:40:36 AM »
Goose, I watched the weather and figured I would set this week after warm front moved in and snow melted.

Saturday morning I was scouting, re-baiting bait stations and pre-digging trap beds.
Then went to a fur buyer Saturday afternoon.
When returning home I saw a fella setting up a crick. My first thoughts were...Your sets are going to be under water in the morning. Sunday morning we had no snow on the property due to melt off. (other than the piles next to driveway)

Call me lucky or lazy, but am setting this week.

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 09:14:25 AM »
jsapr1 I'm figuring you tried the olde Indian trick :P and one of those night crawlers done crawled in your ear :-[ and is still tickle'n your brain ;D ;D ;D
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 05:52:29 AM »
Hern...it wasn't me but some dummy (me) did put a few out (6) :( and they were 6 inches under yesterday..well 4 traps anyway to 150's and 2 11/2 mink traps..2 dp's were ok.....I'm on a learning and relearning curve here, rusty but enjoying it........GOOSE..that's it!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( no more help from me,your sounding like my wife who never takes me seriously... :o :o :o You have to do that little indian thing around 2am in the morning so all the background noise isn't there... ;)....I was out there night before last and when I came in Missy snottily asked "Did You Hear anything...nut job???" ::) ::) Well I did... :P she said it was the train going through the crossing at Perdix.... ??? ???...when I went to check my traps I had 1 sprung at my coyote/fox set next door..  :'( :'(  so there ...non-believers,  :P :P.... 8)....BTW: I think I heard a BEAVER splashing around (never Caught one of those) stand-by for Thursday Pic....or not... ;) ;)...lol

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 10:08:20 AM »
 :) Paul...HO-HO-HO!! ;D ;D ;D
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 03:09:04 PM »
Weather is getting better.... ;) got a couple of nice prime coons :o By now I know jaspr1 has had to have gotten all of the grinners in Purry County :o :o ;D ;D ;D
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 06:14:58 PM »
 :) Jaspr1 is playing hide and seek with 4 coyotes  >:( ....2 days in a row when I went to check traps when I flicked my light on a coyote howled across the ridge from me...and then 3 others kick in from various close positions :( :( ..I think they are coyote laughing at me... :-[ :-[ :-[.....I put out 2 snares today, my new goal is to snare 1.... ;D... 8)

Offline dreamcatcher

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • bizubm43@gmail.com
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 09:14:23 PM »
Ear to the ground only works on buffalo and horses
NRA Endowment Life
Pa Trappers

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 05:03:27 AM »
 >:( You naysayers  >:( >:(...going to check my 4 traps I have at the river.. ::)..putting on my SCUBA gear ..... ;)...this trapping is a lot of work... :P :P :P :P...might just go back to being retired next year... 8)

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 10:07:33 AM »
"Trapping a lot of work" :o ;D ;D A body in motion stays in motion.... :o In your case it's sloooow moootion ::) can't say I'm a marathon runner but it sure has helped my endurance up and down the hills.....now iffin I could due something about those slippery rocks in the stream :P...nah to felt :(...I'd walk it off on the other land trails.
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 10:14:56 AM »
I forgot ;D ;D ;D the big red I'm after was running toward Lil Goose and I in the truck on the farm lane to check traps this morning laughing all the way as it ran across the field.... :-[ :-[ I'm dealing with one that has had it's toes pinched I believe ;) Gonna wait on some snow and hit it with the Fox Pro ;) No additional sign of the beaver  ??? ??? the threat of a beaver drive musta scared it toooo :P :P :P
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member