Author Topic: Great conditions  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Cskypup

• Junior Forum Member
  • Self-professed predator junkie full time Sheepdog!
Great conditions
« on: December 17, 2013, 11:15:40 PM »
Went out tonight solo earlier than I usually start. Wind conditions were as perfect as they possibly could be.
This is the first time this year I've called this farm and I know there's fox here but nothin waz willing to catch
a bullet tonight! Oh well next time eh!? Walking through the crusty snow sounded like a platoon of elephants
bustin brush lol. I did have a barn owl try to take off with my foxpro which gave me a good chuckle! Hopin tomorrow
night is better. First batch of fur to the auction next week.
Savage 340 in .222 Rem
Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x
XLR 250 kill light
Chinese  knockoff lights that are the best ever
Mrod in .25cal my secret weapon out in other states anywat

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Great conditions
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 08:18:43 AM »
The crunch will kill you.  Start calling as soon as possible instead of walking.  They will come if they are in hearing range.  Sound will travel far over crusty snow.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Cskypup

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 04:05:01 PM »
Thanks for the tip! Will give it a try tonight and let ya know how it works!
Savage 340 in .222 Rem
Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x
XLR 250 kill light

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 08:29:57 PM »
Goodluck brother...ive been out...hav nt pulled the trigger this week...im headed out friday night......Rusty
Wicked scanpro Lights ICOTEC Gc500
 Montgromery county,Pa 5C&5D
 District 2 PPHA/NRA Member

Offline Cskypup

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 03:44:57 AM »
Well first set saw eyes walkin in but whatever it was headed out like it's tail was on fire. Second set of the night
the call wasn't goin for ten seconds and a red was running in full bore. She tried to get downwind....tried but my partner
put one in her boiler at about 175yds as soon as she paused. Beautiful prime female tho. Third set had two sets of eyes
Up a tree....grey fox but sadly no shot. Next time maybe!!?? Gosh I do love being in the woods at night! Time for some Cockburn's
Port wine and some venison jerky then cuddle my cold hands up on the missus.....she really likes when I do that btw....good luck Predator53 I am back to work tonight so won't be out huntin till tue next week grrrrr.
Savage 340 in .222 Rem
Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x
XLR 250 kill light