Author Topic: Houndsman! UGH.  (Read 2893 times)

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
Houndsman! UGH.
« on: November 08, 2013, 09:07:06 AM »
Lastnight was the first time I've ever seen this going on. I personally don't like it but to each his own. I hear the dogs running the hill tops barking at my second to last stand lastnight. As I was leaving, there was a truck driving real slow past my truck, driving down the road. It was the houndsman guys. They were using the gps looking devices to follow the dogs by vehicle. My complaint on this is, How is this any different from road hunting. Hunting is not supposed to be done from a vehicle. Using tracking collars and a vehicle to get you to the animal should be the same as poaching in my opinion. If the dogs are working then the hunter should be as well instead up just walking up on a winded coyote once it has very little fight left.
FayetteNam

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Houndsman! UGH.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 09:10:26 AM »
My dad and I use to coon hunt with dogs when I was a kid.  We used the old shoe leather express every where we went.  Times and technology are changeing...
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline nortpete

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
    • French Creek Calls and Taxidermy
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 09:28:30 AM »
Were they coyote hunting or coon hunting? Hounds running a coon will only travel a couple hundred yards. Hounds running a Coyote will run up to 35 miles. That makes it a little hard to follow on foot.
Nick
Crawford County
French Creek Calls & Taxidermy
www.frenchcreekcalls.com

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 12:57:32 PM »
It had to be coyote. I heard them barking for hundreds of yards and then the truck came from a decent distance. Between the truck and the dogs at last sounds, the dogs were about 300 plus yards from the road. I got info from a WCO and this is considered road hunting and is illegal. I was unsure of the legality of it.
FayetteNam

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 01:59:17 PM »
I tend to agree with you on this one Ian. I think that's road hunting also. If it gets to the point that a hounds man can't keep up with his hounds then he should call them back and stop the hunt instead jumping in a truck and following them down the road.
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 04:48:19 PM »
Often,  if the dogs aren't well trained, they will take off and run deer also.  That's also a possibility.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Oldgrey1

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 05:07:29 PM »
One of my child hood mentors trained fox hounds from his youth till he passed. The truck was used only if the dogs got close to a highway or houses,and he never shot the fox. Just saying.

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 05:15:33 PM »
I just spoke with a WCO concerning the matter. He says' that people use vehicles all the time for this and it's only illegal if the shine a light from it or have a loaded firearm in it, I guess. He said it could be a crime but all they would have to say is that they were tracking their dogs in court even though I know the dogs were tracking an animal. That's the way it goes I guess.
FayetteNam