Author Topic: Hunting with multiple people at night  (Read 7214 times)

Offline Carl

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Hunting with multiple people at night
« on: October 29, 2013, 11:04:48 AM »
I don't know if it's just me, but I seem to be more successful hunting solo at night.

Can anyone give me any pointers about hunting with multiple people using multiple lights and guns? Do you all set up and watch the same area or do you set up and watch different areas so your lights never cross beams?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Carl

Offline nortpete

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
    • French Creek Calls and Taxidermy
Re: Hunting with multiple people at night
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 11:14:54 AM »
If you are able to successfully hunt by yourself, then I personally would keep it that way. The more people you bring into the equation brings in more scent, sound, and people that could be seen by the animal.
Nick
Crawford County
French Creek Calls & Taxidermy
www.frenchcreekcalls.com

Offline Carl

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 01:51:42 PM »
Yeah I totally agree, but I can't tell my dad no haha.

Offline nortpete

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 02:29:20 PM »
Yep. That's a tough one! :)
Nick
Crawford County
www.frenchcreekcalls.com

Offline nortpete

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 02:36:33 PM »
I would suggest for everyone to walk in on the same path to eliminate multiple scent trails. To me It makes a difference on the setup for fox and coyote. Most of the fox I call in come from the direction the speakers are blowing or the direction the call is blown at. They rarely ever circle down wind of me. A coyote will almost always circle down wind if they are able to. If you have a second person he could be posted farther down wind to try to intercept them while circling.
Nick
Crawford County
www.frenchcreekcalls.com

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 02:45:31 PM »
If you walk into the wind to the stand,
You could have dad watch one way( into the wind)
and you could watch your back trail, in case they circle down wind, just dont let them get to your trail in.
I usually call back to back and where one scanning light stops the other guy starts ( two 180 degree scanners cover the whole 360)
good luck Carl

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 03:24:37 PM »
Its hard to have more then one guy do everything.  I typically hunt with one other person all the time. Every person you add makes it 100% more harder imho unless the other guy is a seasoned vet. At times tho i have been successful with three guys on one stand already

I like only one rifle setup in a tripod even when huntingnwith one guy. You alternate who gets the shot. If one misses the other gets the next shot. If you have two tripods setup the other guy could get in the way of the muzzle or shot path and that creates missed opportunities. In a perfect world one guy with rifle in tripod scanning one direction. Preferably wathcing the down win area. The other guy has a shotgun watching upwind where if one hangs up out of shotgun range the rifle guy can get the shot easily. The guy that has the shotgun typically runs the call.

It takes years to get a decent calling partner.  But i agree if i want to kill i go alone. I dont have to worry about movement or as much scent.  Also realize that because you can see eyes of an incoming predator the guy standing not more then a few feet away will not be able to see them most of the time.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Carl

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 03:54:56 PM »
Those are all great points. I'm somewhat glad to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing poor luck when hunting non-solo.

I appreciate it and feel free to keep adding. I feel like its a topic not often talked about.

Goodluck to you too bob!

Offline Predator100x

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 04:28:09 PM »
If you are able to successfully hunt by yourself, then I personally would keep it that way. The more people you bring into the equation brings in more scent, sound, and people that could be seen by the animal.
.                                                                I couldn't agree more.But sometimes it's nice to have company.
Skin that one pilgrim and I'll fetch ya another!

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 09:07:50 AM »
If you hunt with multiple people...rotate and take turns on who has to go to get the coffee!  Now your at least down one more person in the woods!!  LOL
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline dreamcatcher

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • bizubm43@gmail.com
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 05:37:17 PM »
I like your thinking Jake.
 I have only had 2 partners. Both live down in D-4.
NRA Endowment Life
Pa Trappers

uncle buck

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 06:26:25 AM »
Dream catcher we have had some good hunts together too!
We sure called in all kinds of critters! You name it we probably called it in! Ha Ha!
We will have to do it again in the future too!

uncle buck

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 06:34:25 AM »
I prefer to hunt alone since when I do hunt with multiple people I do much of the calling unless we use electronics!
New hunters wow I have learned you got to be right there with them so  they don't get in trouble!
When it comes to hunting with partners less is always better.
Not so much in number if people but less everything! Less walking in distance! Is so important since multiple people walking in deep always turns out to scare everything  away! When hunting with a rifle stay right along side of them! You call and let them use the tripod rifle rest!  The predator will get in direct line with the loudest part of the sound! Hence when you mouth call next to them they will see the eyes!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 06:35:31 AM by uncle buck »

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 03:03:21 PM »
I like to hunt with a partner or two.  Just down right more fun.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 07:10:24 AM »
I like to hunt with a partner or two.  Just down right more fun.
Great comment, Buckwheat. Me too.

I've heard the same questions many times over the years. But it's just more fun with another guy or two. It's more productive for the most part.

I've watched several 'FoxPro' TV shows about predator calling and they showed kills. The shows I watched had 2-4 folks at locations.
My experiences have been favorable with a partner or two. I can not recall ever thinking, I wish I was alone at this spot.