Author Topic: 2013 North Central Hunt  (Read 16500 times)

Offline Bulldog

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: 2013 North Central Hunt
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2013, 05:52:53 AM »
     Perhaps  Rick (Zekedogg) can claarify this....but I believe the purpose of the check in and luncheon is to make an effort to bring the hunters together more socially.  It creates a chance for the members to actually get to meet each other and put names to faces.

No matter where the check in / luncheon is located, there will always be some who have to travel more so than others.

I'm not trying to take either side here, I'm just simply trying to expose the other side of things.  I live in York County.  I will be out of town for the dates of the hunt.  However, If I were available, I would have been willing to make the drive in order to get to actually meet some of the other members and perhaps to even to get to hunt with the other members.  We have a lot of new members just getting into the predator hunting, and are looking for guidance on how its done.  This would be a great opportunity for less experienced hunters to team up with more seasoned hunters to gain a little first hand knowledge of predator hunting tactics.

Just my opinion....
Couldn't Have Said It Better

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2013, 07:16:47 AM »
If memory serves this olde mind correctly there were 5 points added for those who attended the luncheon.. ???
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2013, 09:11:35 AM »
The luncheon was never mandetory before but was typically worth what 4 fox were in points. 20 pts ring a bell. I setup all the hunts after ernie stopped and the reason was to keep everyone within the same area to even the odds. Not have someone kill a trunk full of reds down south and bring em up. Just clarifying what happened in the past.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2013, 10:19:59 AM »
Now ya'll made me dig out a copy of the 2009 rules for the NCH..

15 points for lunch on Saturday
                                  3 points for raccoon
                                  5 points for red and grey fox
                                 15 points for coyote

Note: bobcats not in season for this hunt
                          Check in for that hunt was noon Sunday

I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline scottm2012

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2013, 10:47:52 AM »
Perhaps  Rick (Zekedogg) can claarify this....but I believe the purpose of the check in and luncheon is to make an effort to bring the hunters together more socially.  It creates a chance for the members to actually get to meet each other and put names to faces.

I believe having the luncheon and the check-in on the same day would serve the same purpose and add more subject to converse and fellowship about.  Stories to tell from both sides of the spectrum, the successful and unsuccessful.

Mr. Jake and Bulldog, some people just don't have the means or time to spend that amount of time on the road for two days.  I'm glad you do and its quite humble of you to announce it so.

Believe me, when I say, I would love to make both days.  But as a retired vet going to school full time (putting 500+ miles on my car each week)with a family on a limited budget, I have priorities.  In my humble opinion, not attending the luncheon should not disqualify you from the hunt or add a point penalty.

I've said my piece, take it for what its worth.  I'll keep myself apprised of the situation but will not comment any further.  No hard feelings either way.  Like I said before I'm just looking out for the little guy.

Scott Morgan
District 3
TC Venture 308, Savage 340C 222, Dan Thompson and Bees O'Brien Calls 

"I am not your subject. I am the man who keeps you free. I am not your servant. I am the person whom you serve. I am not your peasant. I am the flesh and blood of America."

Joshua Boston

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2013, 01:33:54 PM »
Scottm2012....I understand and respect your thoughts and opinions.  Without the memberships input, the Officers have no idea what direction to take matters such as this.  Thanks
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Bees OBrien

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2013, 01:46:26 PM »
I know the past hunts have had guys from all over the state come to this hunt. That's the best part about it......getting to meet all those folks at the luncheon that might not harvest an animal for the hunt and then opt to not go to check in......... regardless it should be another good and challenging hunt...... Especially the guys that come up here to hunt some new country! good luck to all and be safe out there!

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2013, 01:59:12 PM »
I must say I disagree with Scott on the luncheon and check-in on the same day. but I would like to thank him for serving, I did also in another time. With the luncheon in the past, new friends are established as well as new techniques. Ernie is always good for a new toy demo that everyone awes. The newer hunters, we have tried to pair up with some that are more experienced. And who knows the newbie may harvest a critter or two and next day check-in helps with not rushing back on some of those narrow roads...it's safer, and you get to hunt longer. ;) Just an olde guy talkin  8)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Bees OBrien

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2013, 02:04:43 PM »
+1 goose! Well Said

Offline scottm2012

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2013, 05:12:17 PM »
I know the past hunts have had guys from all over the state come to this hunt. That's the best part about it......getting to meet all those folks at the luncheon that might not harvest an animal for the hunt and then opt to not go to check in......... regardless it should be another good and challenging hunt...... Especially the guys that come up here to hunt some new country! good luck to all and be safe out there!

I know I said I wouldn't comment again, but, when it is put the way Bees suggests, it makes sense and explains it quite well. 

I guess I have a positive outlook and considered I would have to come back down again during check-in with my Coyote, foxes, and coons to secure my prizes.

:o
Scott Morgan
District 3

"I am not your subject. I am the man who keeps you free. I am not your servant. I am the person whom you serve. I am not your peasant. I am the flesh and blood of America."

Joshua Boston

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2013, 12:00:47 AM »
Well I guess the pot has been stirred.

The reason I wanted to make the luncheon mandatory was due to the fact that there has been a lot of belly aching here on the forums and I was hoping that we could get the members together to actually meet each other have a chance to get to know each other make new friends. Like Bees said if someone doesn't kill something then the chances are good that they wouldn't come to the check in and then they would lose the opportunity to meet everyone. Another reason is we wanted to get guys to hunt the North central area if we could to keep the spirit of the hunt alive. I myself am from the Pittsburgh area and decided to just stay up that way for the weekend so I could participate in the hunt. It's a chance for me to get up to the mountains and an opportunity to hang with some old friends and hopefully meet some new ones.

Scott I'm very sorry we limited your opportunities to participate in the hunt but unfortunately when someone at anytime makes a decision they never please everyone. I know of several folks who are planning on participating and have quite a drive. I truly hope that you will do the same because it would be good to meet you.
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline scottm2012

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2013, 07:15:33 AM »
Scott I'm very sorry we limited your opportunities to participate in the hunt but unfortunately when someone at anytime makes a decision they never please everyone. I know of several folks who are planning on participating and have quite a drive. I truly hope that you will do the same because it would be good to meet you.

It wasn't that you limited my opportunity, I planned on coming down already to the check-in even if I had not gotten any quarry, just to see the results and to make face-time.  Making the luncheon mandatory, in my thought processes, forced me to make another trip.  But, after reading what Bees posted above, it made me see the other side.  I fully understand your reasoning for doing so now and completely support your decision (not that I didn't before hand).  I'm not a proud man, I can be swayed with the right conversational tone.
Scott Morgan
District 3

Joshua Boston

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2013, 07:42:05 PM »
FYI

If you are planning to stay the night or all weekend here are some phone numbers;

Yesterdays Hotel & restaurant.....(570)923-2642

Sportmans ..................................(570)923-9968

Now for prices per night? I don't know they have never broke the bank in the past, but it's been a couple of years since I've been up!! :o
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Bees OBrien

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2013, 07:55:37 PM »
and I cant help you out with prices yet sportsmans is suppose to get me prices and vacancies for the weekend

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2013, 10:04:41 PM »
I know I for one am really looking forward to seeing my old buddies and can't wait to make some new ones cause they haven't heard any of my hunting stories (lies) yet. ;D
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association