Author Topic: Called in another one.  (Read 4664 times)

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
Called in another one.
« on: September 22, 2013, 11:18:54 AM »
Well, I went out last night after the all day rain broke. Animals were moving all over. I went to my favorite spot and let out a lone howl and waited. Seven minutes later I had a coyote come into sight. It stayed away at around the 175 yard mark. I was standing to use the grass in front of me and the standing corn behind me to hide my silhouette. I didn't take the shot because I couldn't hold on it steady enough at that distance. I kept trying and I was afraid to move to get to a better location with the bi pod. All this took place from one howl followed by 7 minutes of silence and the dog just hung up out there tilting it's head and I got to see it's submissive reaction to a pack lighting up about a quarter mile away. It was awesome but not I'm left wondering if I would have hit it had I taken the shot.
FayetteNam

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Called in another one.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 11:53:42 AM »
Nice
What did it do when the other pack sounded off?

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 12:43:09 PM »
Sounds like a good night. Yea same here did u go after the other group? Was that lone howl with the fox pro or a mouth call?

Offline Bulldog

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 07:03:32 PM »
Sounds Like A Lot Of Fun

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 07:31:25 PM »
Nice
What did it do when the other pack sounded off?
It put it's head down and took a couple steps away from the sound like when you yell at the family dog.
It was the FoxPro lone howl sound and I've heard this pack light up before but it's a couple ridges over and I'm never close enough to pin point them because they don't always sing at the same time. This time it was a train whistle that got them going. Sometimes its the curfew siren from the local VFD.
FayetteNam

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 07:31:57 PM »
Way to go Ian. Around what time was it dark or dusk?
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 07:34:48 PM »
It was my first stand last night, so it was about 11:30pm. I was waiting until the spotters were done. Although this is one of those spots that can't be spotted from a road but I thought I'd just run my routine. I would have went all night but around 2am the fog was to bad to see through.
FayetteNam

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 08:38:45 PM »
Inspiring

Offline nortpete

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
    • French Creek Calls and Taxidermy
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
You'll get them next time I'm sure.
Nick
Crawford County
French Creek Calls & Taxidermy
www.frenchcreekcalls.com

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 01:11:20 AM »
Ian outstanding!!!!

Maybe he held up because of the full moon? You did the right thing by hiding in the corn etc.. However maybe the full moon was not out because of the clouds..

You got his interest...I would have done the following: first I would have reached into my pocket and started using a bulb squeaker.. now I wouldn't even take it out of the pocket just start squeaking.

2nd I would have hit it with the coyote pup distress.  Now normally I would do 1 min and go to the  7 min of silence.  however in this case since you had a visual maybe just 20 seconds of the pup distress and then just shut up with silence...   

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 06:23:04 AM »
i would have knocked it out with the 22.250 can't kill em if you don't pull the trigger. 

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 03:39:16 PM »
Great job!  Always better to not shoot when uncetain.  I got a Tri X stand Tripod from ewcalls.com and honestly it has allowed me to shoot twice as far at critters as it makes the gun bench rest solid.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 05:02:29 PM »
If you would have shot and missed.....you would have only educated  him and made it harder next time out to get him in.   The Tri X is the only way to go for those longer shots!!!!
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 08:06:07 AM »
that yote already received his first leason that night and learned from it.  i will bet that after Ian left that yote made his way over to where he was calling and scent checked the area to see exactly what was making the noise.  we learned this a couple of years ago and have used it to our advantage a couple of times already. 

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 08:26:04 AM »
Agree...if not sure about the shot...don t take it....why wound or educate him...you ll have your chance again.
Wicked scanpro Lights ICOTEC Gc500
 Montgromery county,Pa 5C&5D
 District 2 PPHA/NRA Member