Author Topic: mounting place  (Read 5155 times)

Offline archerobx

• PPHA Forum GURU
mounting place
« on: July 26, 2007, 02:46:42 PM »
was looking in a cat and saw device that I could mount a light below the barrell, real simply and cheap. was thinking if on the barrell then I wouldnt light up my gun.

My question is which is better, scope mounted or barrell?

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
mounting place
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 06:07:42 PM »
all in your preference.

i like it on the barrel....simply so the light is in front of the gun and i don't have to look around the light if on top of the scope for incoming eyes. some prefer it on the scope for weight balance and such.

try both...see what YOU like best...whats good for someone else might not be good for you.
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline archerobx

• PPHA Forum GURU
mounting place
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 07:03:33 PM »
thanks.

I have never used either, just wanted to make sure there wasnt anything totally wrong with a barrel mounted light

BP

mounting place
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 07:39:53 PM »
I'm going to make one and figured hanging under the barrel out of the way made more sense.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
mounting place
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 08:16:30 PM »
Here is one type to look at. The bracket I think you can order separate if you already have the light.
There are tons of ways to do this, running the wires has always been the thing I consider weather barrel or scope mounted. I have seen set ups were there are hardly any wires to get in the way. They ran the wiring in the gun stock.

Coon Hunters Favorite ~ Model No. 1083
This pack age includes Nite Lite's  THE HEAD. The headpiece clips off the hardhat for hand spotting, clips onto your battery for a hands free walking light or onto your rifle barrel with the barrel clip for easy night hunting. This Package also includes the rheostat switch cover which lets you adjust your light from a dim eye finding light to a super bright spotlight saving bulb life. The cover has a plug-in jack for recharging that plugs from the battery right into your wall outlet. The power source is the lightweight Gell-Gell rechargeable Nite Lite battery
with molded belt loops and weights only 3 lbs 14 oz. This package gives you hours of hunting light and is rechargeable hundreds of time. Battery is completely leak and spill proof.
Package includes: The Head light, Gell-Gell battery, Rheostat switch cover, and barrel clip.
Model No. 1083 ~ $104.95
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

tom p

mounting place
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 04:18:36 PM »
something to think about guys----if ur thinking about mounting ur light 2 the barrel it might throw off ur scope zero if ur using a rifle---the weight of the light will charge how the barrel moves as the bullet is going down the barrel.   i have no idea what it will do to a shotgun with point of impact---but it will most likely throw things off with a rifle

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
mounting place
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 11:18:36 PM »
Quote from: "tom p"
something to think about guys----if ur thinking about mounting ur light 2 the barrel it might throw off ur scope zero if ur using a rifle---the weight of the light will charge how the barrel moves as the bullet is going down the barrel.   i have no idea what it will do to a shotgun with point of impact---but it will most likely throw things off with a rifle

for true... will definitely affect the POI on a rifle, you'll need to dedicate a rifle to fur and resight it to insure your accuracy... one of the fellows I used to hunt with has a barrel mounted light and he was always resighting as when ever he'd bump the light and it moved so did the POI...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline Rosko

• Junior Forum Member
mounting place
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 02:08:19 PM »
I mount my light on the scope, I also use weaver see though scope mounts. Makes it easier for a second shot if needed. I do this on both my rifle and my shotgun, with the rifle there is no need to resite when you take the lite off.

Rosko

longhair

mounting place
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 08:36:11 PM »
The optronics is what I got and my scope is 30mm, so I had to order it as the 1 inch comes standard. The 30mm mount can stay on the scope all the time(as mine does) and the light hooks up very easy. I've shot this at night and with no effect on the sighting of the scope. I really like how you can aim the light with the ajustment knobs. Instead of burning them with the center of the beam. You can just have the halo show up in the scope. Not to mention the flip up red lense cover. If all else fails, flip'er up and fling some lead and watch the fur fly !!!!! :shock:  8)