Author Topic: Rip off artist prevail  (Read 4024 times)

uncle buck

Rip off artist prevail
« on: August 23, 2013, 07:06:07 PM »
I kind of wish more business were like Foxpro! When you see their electronics on the shelf no matter where it's at that's the price! None of this price gouging of sportspersons!
Today wasn't the fair market price  case! I went into a gun shop that ammo stocked to the ceiling! You know that's unusual in this day and age.most places are all  out of  ammo and brass! This place had plenty of brass too!
I paid $17.99 for a box of  17 Win Super Magnum 25 grain ammo! This store had plenty of it! BUT the cost was $29.99. They had both grains too the 20 and 25 grains! Both $29.99.
17 Hornet 20 VMAX I paid $19.99 for 25 rounds. This gun shop $30.00! Mark up was 50%!  No wonder they had ammo up to the ceiling! Good place to remember if I can't find it somewhere else!  However sad to be making so much rip off money on the sportsperson!  Remember shops selling it for the lesser are making a profit too!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:10:03 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Rip off artist prevail
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 07:42:50 PM »
     I use to enjoy shopping on Gunbroker...but lately the retailers, gunshops etc. have their stuff marked up so high, I don't even bother getting on there anymore.

I have a few rounds that will last me hopefully through hunting season.  I'm a patient man.....I'll wait until the market is back to normal and the prices come back to reality again.

Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Papa1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 09:13:02 PM »
Uncle Buck,  You didn't tell us the name of the Gunshop and it's location.  If you are going to start this stuff then you should tell it all or keep it to yourself.  Dick
NRA Life-Benefactor   USP Member  SASS Life member  Mosquito Creek Life Member

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 10:37:05 PM »
It's all about luck these days. Your lucky to find your caliber and lucky to find an honest broker. I found one place that usually has everything high priced, selling 17 Hornet and 17 Win Super Mag lower than everywhere else. I now know this and will always check there first. Dunhams is selling 17 Hornets for $24.99 and Woodlands World is selling the same for $17.00. Same with the new 17 Win Super Mags. $19.99 a box for 50 rounds. Cheaper than I was finding on the net even before shipping. I did however break down and buy a box of Hornady Superformance 22-250 from Cabelas (that I found on ammoseek.com). I payed about $9 more for it after shipping but I needed it for early coyote and the range.
FayetteNam

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 02:58:22 AM »
Papa1 first off this is the gun shop choice to rip off people or not... I didn't want to bad mouth them on here.  Buyer of ammo and brass should be aware that there are people out there that are making a killing on hard to get stuff...I have sent you a P. M. with the name and the location of the dealer that has all kinds of ammo but it's extremely high.. They didn't have any  17 Hornet brass... However they wanted well over $45.00 for Win 22250 brass.  that seems kind of high to me.. They had quite a bit of brass for different calibers but not what i'm looking for and that's  17 Hornet brass right now...If anyone wants to know who this shop is.. Send me an P. M. and I will tell you... Who knows you might need to go there to find hard to get stuff or your ammo gets down real low and you need to pay the price..  I did buy 100 rounds of CCI 22 short CB from this vendor...I need it bad so I payed the price... I couldn't find the CB's anywhere!!! It was  $12.00 now that wasn't to bad in my eyes for  100 rounds....

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 03:05:15 AM by uncle buck »

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 09:50:06 AM »
No doubt, Jim. There is always someone looking to capitalize of distress. I remember shops who treat people wrong as well as I remember good hunting spots. If both of them treat me good, I will stop back.  ;)
FayetteNam

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 10:05:57 PM »
Normally I will not post on the other predator calling area of a Pa web site... I am starting to gather things for my  17 WIN Super magnum Rim fire and a post on their caught my eye...Many of us were communicating about the merits of the new round.  What we felt about it as a fox gun, coyote, chuck gun.  Also about how hard it was to find factory ammo.  The person that did start the post got real upset..  he didn't want us to get off topic... Here we are talking about the gun itself and the round... His post was that he wanted everyone that had to rifle to register it on the post...As I read through the post I notice that the guy was stocking up on all the ammo.. IMO I think the guy wanted a rooster of owners so he could come back and sale the ammo to them at higher prices... guy started using the Lords name in vain even he was getting so mad...To make a long story short they locked the post.  I think moderators saw the pattern that he was one of these people that sales hard to get things like ammo.  Like the  17 WIN 17 SPRF....In one post he even talked about selling it for  $80.00 and if the person wanted it bad enough that was there fault. Figure why would someone want to know who the new owners was of the  17 Win Super Magnum RF rifle.  even suggesting they put the S/N of it too.????????????
So.....make sure you  only pay from $14.00 to 17.99 for the new rim fire ammo... Figure it cheaper for mfg to make rim fire ammo then center fire... To pay  from $30.00 to $80.00 people like that are just laughing all the way to the bank!!!   

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 08:10:02 AM »
Can someone PLEASE explain to me, this ammo hoarding phobia?? I don't have just 1 box of any caliber, but I don't have thousands of rounds either...No .22 ammo anywhere..what's going on here? I was in Dunhams, no rimfire of any type, clerk said come on a Friday morning truck comes in Thursday night..All I wanted to do was buy 1 box of .22 mag ammo to go plink away, UB was right I finally found some but not going to plink at that price..Is it still, mass hysteria surrounding Obama? Mfg.'s deliberately holding back production to gouge sportsmen?? Survivalists? I unfortunately actually know one of these survivalist idiots, who is buying up  ammo, at any price...he has spent, I bet, a couple of thousand dollars to "BE READY"...guns,ammo,mre's and was last heard talking about building a bunker..OMG...If Cabelas,Gander,Bass pro,Natchez,et al  can't get it...WHERE is it??? Can't backorder,cause nobody knows when they will get any....I think I smell something rotten at the MFG'S level here, just my opinion.. 8)

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 08:43:19 PM »
That's funny you posted this today. My Dunhams has 22 long rifle high velocity for the first time in months. I don't understand it myself. Some of the hoarders are actually smaller gun shops that are last on the list to get ammo.  I know a couple in my area that have people go check Walmart and Gander Mtn daily just so they can get the ammo to draw people into their shops. I had a heck of a time finding ammo for my 22-250. I found it online and bought if from Cabelas. Hornady needs to up their production in the smaller calibers.
FayetteNam

Offline Huntin 4 yotes

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 08:48:08 PM »
If u set up an account on midway usa they will email u when the ammo arrives. I waited over 5 months for hornady z max 223 earlier this year beceause nobody had it local. On top of that there was a $22 shipping charge on 3 boxes.

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 04:22:39 PM »
for 223 check here...  http://www.gunbot.net   they're currently updating so be patient, they're adding a bunch more calibers to the list...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline Huntin 4 yotes

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 05:11:48 PM »
Dale.. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Offline Shovelheadave

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 06:16:07 PM »
Being in Mont Co, I was really excited about the 17WSM but, having seen all that's gone on with it...the gouging and kooky ammo hoarding (and bragging). I couldn't be less interested in one....and I'm a pretty loyal Savage guy.

edit - sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 06:17:44 PM by Shovelheadave »