Author Topic: Working out the bugs!!  (Read 4427 times)

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
Working out the bugs!!
« on: August 06, 2013, 09:32:34 PM »
I attempted to make a go of coyote hunting the other night. Due to the moon phase and temp, I thought it would have been great. Man, I forgot how much goes into predator hunting. First off the batteries I charged last month, well lets say, one set didn't even turn the call on and the others already showed low battery. Rounding everything up was a chore as well. I like doing these early hunts because if anything, I am getting the bugs worked out for when things get going full time. This trip was nothing short of a disaster. Wind was wrong (swirling and switching) approach was bad because of where the  crops were planted and no trails behind the corn like last year, spooking deer ect. Hopefully I'll get out again his weekend.
FayetteNam

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Working out the bugs!!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 09:39:03 AM »
I know what you mean...even during the season I find that on the first set of the night I usually forget something in the car or at home, etc.   ;D  Usually on my game on the second set.  Putting in a little practice time now is not a bad idea...

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 09:48:27 AM »
i have everything in containers at the house, predator stuff in one, archery in another, and so forth.  it only takes me a couple of minutes to get ready at any time.  in a pinch i can also use regular batteries for the foxpro but my rechargables usually take an hour for full charge i also can charge them in the truck if need be.  my light batteries are stored at about 75 percent and have enough back ups to run a couple of nights. lol. 

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 10:22:36 AM »
I too am always forgetting something. I don't know why maybe it's because I always seem to be doing 10 things at once. LOL
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 11:03:16 PM »
This will happen during the first hunt! Batteries are down low!
Of course if you think your going to get out charge them.
However remember the 100 Kill Lights do run on AAA batteries also.  This might be the time your going to have to use your 100  Killlight for your first hunt! Use the AAA insert in your 100 Killight if you end up going hunting at a minute notice!  Keep a sleeve of AA and AAA around the house to get you through the first hunt until your batteries charge for the other lights!
There is an excellent AA red LED head light! Boondocks sales them for $60.00.  100 Kill lights can be attached to scopes and you can wear one on your head too!
Semper  Paratus!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 11:07:55 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 10:19:46 AM »
If my groundhog shooting is any indication of my predator season to come I am going to be missing alot  ;).  Missed one at 125 yards off a tri x stand yesterday.  Think all the bench rest shooting I have been doing all summer is making my real in the field shooting go down hill.  Going to need to get some targets and cans, milk jugs, and head out to a farmers field before the season.

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 07:55:01 PM »
you can practice all you want during the day, BUT make sure you get out and practice during the night too... you may be surprised how far off you are under the lights...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline Bees OBrien

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 09:00:20 PM »
I once forgot my gun.....true story

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 09:40:33 PM »
That's ok Bees one night I met leg lifter to do some hunting thank goodness we were both shooting a .223 cause I brought a gun but no ammo.
Rick Comport

Offline Bees OBrien

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 09:55:25 PM »
well when I came back to get my shotgun, grabbed a box of dead coyote and walked out the door without the gun AGAIN caught myself before I got off the porch....last week I hiked my trail cams up to set up and forgot all my memory cards on the comp desk!

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 10:34:26 PM »
Dude you sound just like me. I can walk out to the truck and turn around walk back in a couple times because I keep forgetting something. I do it all the time. It's maddening. My wife says I need to slow my mind down and concentrate on one thing instead of 18 or 20 things. I say where's the fun in that.LOL
Rick Comport

Offline Cm20

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 10:37:14 PM »
Hello all been reading these forums for awhile figured I'd finally sign up...this thread reminds me of the first day of fox last year,  called in a red on my first set of the night he came out of nowhere 20yds away, got the gun on him and then realized I forgot to put the battery in my gun light...tried holding my scanning light on him one handed but by then it was too late and away he went...I must have double checked the batteries a hundred times the rest of the season

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 10:39:58 PM »
CM20 it happens to everybody. Welcome to the boards...Rick
Rick Comport

Offline Shovelheadave

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 05:53:49 PM »
Yep....more times than we care to admit too.

Welcome.

uncle buck

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 01:21:40 AM »
Probably biggest mistake that new hunters make is turning off the lights while calling... Let the scanning light on when you depart your vehicle until you get back to the vehicle.. The light is your shield keep it on at all times. Also stay behind it too...You do have to look behind you but that when they can see you...If they come from your side or you turn around to look back...
I have gotten into arguments with one new hunter...Something how people just won't listen...Kind of an arrogant type personalty. he turned the head light off when I was done calling and all of a sudden coyotes started barking right in front of him.. :(  Barking usually means your busted!!!! next he thinks he saving battery life and I told him I have plenty of batteries to keep the light on...  Actually I' m not going to hunt with this hunter this year when he calls...
New callers if you do go hunting with a seasoned predator hunter...Listen to him!!!You can't have  999 chief out there...You will do far better to listen to the person that is taking you out to show you how the hunt...Granted they might not have the big picture yet but they probably know more then you...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 01:25:02 AM by uncle buck »