Author Topic: Wind problem  (Read 2331 times)

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
Wind problem
« on: March 13, 2013, 12:49:43 PM »
Thought I would go out last night for my first 'coyote hunt' of 2013. Got 3 farms lined up to hunt. All up against the Tuscarora mountain. Got out of my truck at the first stop, tested the wind which was out of the west, (perfect crosswind) set up in a small island of trees and did a couple howls. Waited a couple minutes and then lit up the night with rabbit distress. About a minute later a coyote came slipping along the edge of the woods about 100 yards off, stopped, whirled around and then took off. At first I couldn't figure out what was wrong until I felt the wind hitting the back of my head. I don't know how many times that has happened...check the wind...its perfect...set up and call...only to have a coyote slip in, whirl and run when my trigger finger is just starting to slowly put pressure on the trigger...the end of my hunt last night...every place I had lined up had a similar set up so I quit...maybe friday night

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Wind problem
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 01:09:29 PM »
pa coyotes and wind go hand in hand.  i know some disagree but most of the coyotes i call in try to get on the downwind side.  you can use this as a huge advantage when hunting.  in a 4 mph to 8 mph wind i would get 100  yards downwind of the caller.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 02:51:39 PM »
     At least you were able to call one in !  I agree with Jeff,  You have to get out at least 100 from the call.  From my limited experience, most dogs will circle the call at least that much.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 02:52:21 PM »
Sorry...I meant to say Scott not Jeff.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!