Author Topic: Exciting night!!  (Read 3124 times)

Offline Cskypup

• Junior Forum Member
  • Self-professed predator junkie full time Sheepdog!
Exciting night!!
« on: January 09, 2013, 11:15:47 PM »
Hello all! I am still a newbie here and thoroughly enjoy reading everyone's posts.  Until now I really didn't have a good story....gonna try my best to make it a good read for all.  Last night's conditions were near perfect for most of the stands that I have permission to hunt.  Started around 2200 hours last night first stands were on a golf course.  Each time we have hunted here something comes in, however, really choosy with where we shoot.  Last night nothing at all.  Really hoping this wasn't indicative of the rest of the night.  After two stands here we met up with our third guy.  Next farm red fox won't commit and missed at close to 200yds.  This happens so now its getting late and I have permission to hunt a Christmas tree farm.  My partner slammed one of the biggest red's I have ever seen last time on this farm.  Its in a creek bottom and multiple sets can be done, one side of the road fox and coon the other is full of coyote.  These yotes go nuts after we shoot and last night was no different.  Get set in start a callin and bam red makes a beeline for the decoy.  Partner smokes her at prob around 125 yards.  As soon as he shoots the yotes go crazy!!! Only this time from three different areas.  Sneak across the road setup tight to the buildings with the caller below us.  We knew shots were gonna be danger close but I was too lazy to grab my shottie.  Big mistake and the reason I didn't get a shot...start off with a group howl and they respond with the same.  go right into hunting whines short sequence then rabbit distress.  Even with the call going we could hear them coming at us and quickly!!!  One guy has NVG monocular and informs us to get ready as he sees them come through the fence line.  Wind was in our favor but shooting lanes were tiny.  I see a rabbit running helter skelter through the pines and hot on its tail....two yotes!  All this happened so fast my OODA Loop(Observe Orient Decide Act) was totally fried lol.  While I saw this one of the other guys sees another yote running at the decoy.....his OODA Loop was fried too.  As with every hunt out we all learned this is a shottie spot and these yotes are territorial as hell.  Gonna give it a few days to settle down and try the new setup.   
Had to tell someone about this that would understand how exciting this is!!  Good luck to all and keep your powder dry!!
Savage 340 in .222 Rem
Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x
XLR 250 kill light
Chinese  knockoff lights that are the best ever
Mrod in .25cal my secret weapon out in other states anywat

Offline shortmagger

• Junior Forum Member
Re: Exciting night!!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 12:12:00 AM »
Good story,interesting night definitely,all you can do is try again more prepared for how you now know you screwed up on, thats how we all learn,best of luck on those critters

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 07:52:20 AM »
awesome!
 good luck !!

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 12:43:43 PM »
Mans that's a great story..!!
Wicked scanpro Lights ICOTEC Gc500
 Montgromery county,Pa 5C&5D
 District 2 PPHA/NRA Member

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 11:05:38 PM »
     Great story.  I can picture everything going down play by play as your wrote it.  Nothing like sharing a great story with folks who can truly understand the excitement.
     I don't think there is any such thing as a bad night, except for the night NOT spent out calling!
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline bowhunter

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 07:57:51 AM »
Great Story...nice talking with you yesterday at Johnson's Furs.  Went out last evening and had a red come screaming into the call but then he got in some underbrush and never got a shot at him.  I'll send you photos of the Coyote Skull. 

Offline Cskypup

• Junior Forum Member
  • Self-professed predator junkie full time Sheepdog!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 11:59:58 AM »
Hey yea was great talkin to ya! Dint see squat till first light red came in but no shot. Something about my calling yearling deer into my lap lol. Hope to get out tonight but we'll see. Good luck!
Savage 340 in .222 Rem
Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x
XLR 250 kill light
Chinese  knockoff lights that are the best ever
Mrod in .25cal my secret weapon out in other states anywat