Author Topic: Need a new scanning light  (Read 6548 times)

Offline PA furtaker

• PPHA Members
Need a new scanning light
« on: December 25, 2012, 12:52:43 PM »
I have been using a light I got off eBay last year for scanning the white light that comes out of it is amazing but when you put the red filter or gel paper over it it kills it I've read thru here seen some post about the buckwheat headlamp but can't find anything out about it. What are some other good scanning lights.

Offline chiefz28

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Re: Need a new scanning light
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 01:41:55 PM »
250 kill light is an nice redlight.no complaints here. it come with mounts for scope mounting. 2 in 1, scan and shooting light

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 01:46:57 PM »
You can always paint the lens with red Dykem.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 03:32:35 PM »
Do you like to scan with a head mounted light or hand held?  The problem you are experiencing will be true for any old style halogen bulb light.  You will be simply amaized at the new red LED lights.  I use www.thecoyotelight.com for scanning and the Carnivore 5 for shooting found at www.safeharborstore.com

Both guys are members here and both have awesome lights.  Good luck with your decision.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline jerad188

• Junior Forum Member
  • South eastern District 5
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 12:55:51 PM »
I have both kill lights , I like the 100yrd one for scanning with its broader beam, and the 250 to shoots with since its a narrow beam
Addicted to fur for sure

Offline The Wolf

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 06:58:24 PM »
I suggest using any light with a red LED. Stay away from lights with filters, they all suck. I use a Kill Light 250 and it's super light and durable. It also only uses one battery which last a few hours fully charged.

Offline jake80

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 07:44:48 PM »
I have the vrl-1 light. It comes with a scope mount, universal mount, 2 batteries with charger, also comes with a pressure switch. I didnt like the pressure switch, so I ordered the wicked w400 on/off switch for 9.99. Now I have used this light 2 nights now and it shines over 200yrds. I scan alot, only cuz I am new to all this. I took the gun to a public range and the backwall is 168 yards, I was shooting bowling pins at 9:00pm. Jmo.

Offline Cskypup

• Junior Forum Member
  • Self-professed predator junkie full time Sheepdog!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 11:23:38 PM »
I have had the XLR250 for a year now and love it.  A friend found the chinese site and ordered one for himself that doesn't have a name on it......I bought one right after I saw his.  Cost was 1/3 of my kill light and honestly has a smaller beam i prefer for shooting.  Both use the same battery....the chinese model uses two though.  With todays economic uncertainty the money I saved will be spent buying more guns........be safe all......
Savage 340 in .222 Rem
Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x
XLR 250 kill light
Chinese  knockoff lights that are the best ever
Mrod in .25cal my secret weapon out in other states anywat

Offline archery22-250

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 07:10:05 PM »
do u have that site for the chinese kil lights?
take ur kid hunting

Offline Tikka

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 08:01:28 AM »
swarter,

What is dykem and where can I get it? How much does it limit the beam of light?

Tikka

Offline Tikka

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 07:11:47 AM »
An "old-timer" at my range also told me to try red plastic wrap over the lens. Anyone ever tried this one? I'm looking at the VRL-1 light for on the gun but want to do the scanning light for cheap since I'm just getting started in this whole thing. I already had a 2-D Maglite sitting around and put the LED upgrade in it. I'm gonna see what a layer of the red plasstic wrap does whith it. I'm trying to get away with using that for now.

Tikka

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 02:54:38 PM »
I had a kill Iight 250 as my shooting light.  I bought a carnivore 5 this year and it blows away the kill light .  I have lots of different lights but I highly recommend the carnivore 5 from sponsor ewcalls.com

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 12:35:56 PM »
I'm running Noxx Headlamp& Red Daggar..their pretty sweet for the price..!!
Wicked scanpro Lights ICOTEC Gc500
 Montgromery county,Pa 5C&5D
 District 2 PPHA/NRA Member

Offline Deerhunter#1

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 01:42:12 PM »
my first time out ever predator hunting this weekend in bradford county. My bud had a noxx light and it broke on him twice. I had the dead eye scanning head light and the gun mounted light. They worked great and my bud wishes he got one now. I still didnt see or here anything though but who said it would be easy :'(