Author Topic: BLOOPER!  (Read 5761 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
BLOOPER!
« on: November 16, 2012, 08:17:38 AM »
Feel free to add your own bloopers to this topic it will help me feel better.Thought I would go out the other night after some greys for something different.Pulled on my camo pants and jacket in the dark as everyone was sleeping.Went to a spot that is a hard walk to access but generally pays off.I pulled the clip out of my pants pocket where I always keep it and cycled the bolt and was ready to go.After a hard walk to the spot I got settled in.Pulled out a griz n grey call that I never really used much but figured this would be a good area as I new there was grey fox present.Cut loose with the calling and had a grey standing at 35 yards in minutes.Easy shot I thought as I steadied for the shot and squeezed the trigger.CLICK!! No shell in the chamber.I silently cycled the bolt for a second attempt as the fox started to leave and finally figured out I had no shells at all in the clip..That sure takes the wind out of your sails.After a minute or two to let my blood pressure come down I figured what the heck I want to see how good this call is.So I got back to it and the fox came charging back in barking the whole way,and then another fox started barking off to my left and then to rub more salt in the wound a group of coyotes lit up behind me for about a minute while I set there with no AMMO...Just to stir things up a bit I let loose with a couple howls of my own as the grey was still prancing back and forth in front of me at 30 yards still barking.I got up and backed out of the spot with my light on the fox the whole time and could still see him sitting there at 300 yards looking like he was sorry to see the entertainment leaving.As I finally got out of sight of the fox and started my long walk back a lone coyote sounded off in another location,I think he said come on back.What a night.I think the call works.

Offline icecube

• Senior Forum Member
Re: BLOOPER!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 01:46:57 PM »
Sounds like  you have a good spot to get back to...Good luck.....ED

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 12:16:16 PM »
I had one of those moments ghog hunting with ernie. Few years back. I got all ready and asked if he still had him in the viewfinder and he said yep. Then you hear click. And ernie says wow nice shot. I forgot to load the gun.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 04:01:31 PM »
I went hunting one night with Shawn and forgot my ammo.  Shawn was shooting a different caliber so I couldn't borrow any from him.  I opted to not go home but just call for him.  Wouldn't you know I had a red fox snaeak up under a pine tree and stare at me 10 yards away.  I swear I saw him laughing at me  (the fox and Shawn).
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 06:33:11 PM »
Yep, loaded the boat to go duck hunting with all the stuff needed and headed down the road about 10 miles and my partener says you put the guns in right? :-(
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 06:34:46 PM by Buckwheat »
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 06:23:07 AM »
Ha! where do I start...lol
Several years ago...
I got 2 high school buddies to go calling with me. I wanted them to do the shooting so I didn't take a gun. Didn't even put a gun in the truck.
I would do the calling for them.
About every stop...I could've had an easy kill. They did get most of the call ins...lol.

While videoing Spring Gobbler hunts over the years...I HAD the best shot...lol or the opposite, I spooked the bird...lol

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 08:25:15 AM »
Of course mine had to involve Tim D. as well  ;D
We were hunting a property with a few large dirt piles. I had climbed on the side of one to get a better advantage point to where my head was just to the top of the hill and I would not be silloutted.
Tim was the caller for the night, and as he began calling I caught movement at the top of the hill and as I turned my head, "SLAM" I get smacked in the face by of all things....an OWL. Almost knocking me down the hill.
Well I was a little out of sorts due to it hitting my eye(lucky for me I didn't catch a talon)
So Tim's laughing in butt off at me saying hes never heard of such a thing and to toughen up so we could get back to hunting.
We decide to try a few hundred yards up in a different field. Still shaken the calling begins again.
As the dying rabbit begins, we hear the swooping above. Once again the owl though we might be tasty and began diving around above our heads. I'm now having flash backs like a Vietnam Vet as the laughing continues and so ended hunting that area for the night.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 08:25:58 AM by Lifes2fun »
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 08:40:03 AM »
How could I forget that one?  We certainly have had some laughs.  Thats half the fun of predator hunting in my opinion.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline rivrwrat

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 06:22:37 PM »
Not really a blooper but funny as hell .Sitting in a stand the other evening watch some red eyes  in the  woods edge staring at the caller about 25 yds away not know what it was and only ,22 mag in hand I wanted it to comes out of the woods and identify itself. Well reaching in my pocket to get my squeaker and squeezing it the red eyes that I figure are a fox don't come bouncing like they usually do instead they ascend on me like a stealth fighter fast and smooth I streamed like a girl when the owl hit my head Holy crap what a funny moment in the field .

Offline jerad188

• Junior Forum Member
  • South eastern District 5
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 07:01:50 PM »
Younger cousin had his 12 gauge with a 3 1/2 mag in the chamber. Without even shining the light a grey fox pops out from the brush maybe 10-15 feet away, he pulled up and shot without a firm grip on the gun and pulled the trigger... The little grey rolled about 4 feet and it blew him back in his a$$ lol I couldn't quit laughing and he couldn't feel his shoulder all night
Addicted to fur for sure

Offline foxhunter50

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 10:29:35 PM »
It was 1975  my Trapping Partner and I were going to do some fox hunting in Huntington Co at a Uncle of his place.  Full moon  soft snow and 3 hrs drive  this was joing to be great 2 day outing, we always went to extremes back then, no sleep, wet clothes , no cabin sometimes, some times just  trucks. but we had tons of good gear, the best them 90.00 fox hides would buy. well it helps to  put the guns in the truck.  no one ever took the blame for lettin them proped against my gramps garage door. we each went into a small hardware store and bought cheap 12 ga single barrels. the next morning after a cold night in the truck.  what a expensive trip.   But the best fun ever.

Offline jake80

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 08:11:34 PM »
Bloopers! Lol I have so many of these, like I am a avid archery hunter. Yes, I have forgotten arrows. Didn't notice till I was in treestand and was all setup.

Best one ever was Saturday night, I have never hunted at night. So I had everything to go. So the neighbor came with. Got set up where I had seen some fresh tracks and alot of rabbit traffic. I started with my cottontail distress, kept going for 2-3 mins. Stopped for a second or two, and started again for another 3 mins. At which time a coyote howled, scaring the s*** out of me. At this time I thought man I am not Ready for night hunting, the neighbor was like sit down, nope. Next minute, 2 more howls, ok I am out of here. Back to the truck, get to the truck and he is still on the caller 3 howls, never took anything off, hopped in the back of truck.

Neighbor says lets go up too field, ok. Go up too the field, put the window down and was using cottontail distress, found 4 prints aside truck leading into scrub brush, then branches were breaking and some yips and barks, neighbor had fire coming off his feet back to truck. What's wrong, ummm they r right there but I forgot my gun.  We have gone back out since then, I am not skeered anymore. And pretty sure he won't forget his fun ever again.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 06:39:13 PM »
Even with all the "Bloopers" everyone experiences at one time or another, My motto is this...."A bad day of hunting is still better than a good day at work".  We all like to capitalize on a shot and putting fur on the stretcher, but I still get pumped just calling them in!!!
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 06:08:52 PM »
I went hunting one night with Shawn and forgot my ammo.  Shawn was shooting a different caliber so I couldn't borrow any from him.  I opted to not go home but just call for him.  Wouldn't you know I had a red fox snaeak up under a pine tree and stare at me 10 yards away.  I swear I saw him laughing at me  (the fox and Shawn).
Now that is funny??
Wicked scanpro Lights ICOTEC Gc500
 Montgromery county,Pa 5C&5D
 District 2 PPHA/NRA Member

Offline Shovelheadave

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 05:47:38 PM »
From 2012......

Ya gotta be able to laugh at yourself.........

So I’m in Lehigh Co. with my buddy a few weeks back and notice my gun mounted light starts to flicker and dim (not made by Lucas), thought it was the battery. Later I fiddle with it and notice that if you wiggle the pigtail leading to the thumb switch, the light flickers and dims. I e-mail the vendor and he’s like “no problem, send it back”. A week later….last Monday, a new one arrives. So Tuesday night I put it on, give it a couple of clicks to test it, and head out.

I’m walking to my first set (up a sunken roadway) around 10:00pm with my scanner on and see a few sets of eyes out I the field……there’s a couple pairs and they’re tall, they're probably deer. I throw up my .17HMR to get a better look at them (bolt open). Click the thumb switch….nothing…..fiddle with it, it comes on. I turn it off and can’t get it back on……….grrrrrr. At least I have the regular tail switch in the truck.

I swear to you I am not making this up or embellishing the story one bit. As I turn to head back to the truck…I hear a red fox barking……….BACK BY MY TRUCK !!! ……..seriously ??? Can this really be happening ??

So I slowly walk back to my truck, I have my scanner on my hat but nothing on my rifle. There…not 25 feet from my truck (40 yards from me) I see the silhouette of a fox sitting. With no light I can’t see anything in the scope, I try to swing my scanner over to light him up but I can’t see my crosshairs. I reach to swing the scanner a little more and my call bangs against my seat (both hanging around my neck) and he bolts…..<sigh>…