Author Topic: Missed again!!  (Read 5187 times)

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
Missed again!!
« on: November 14, 2012, 01:58:58 PM »
I've been having a horrible season as far as misses go. I called in four coons at the beginning of the d5 coon hunt. They all came in together to baby porcupine. I was shooting them at 40 yards with my 22mag, thinking I was hitting them. I just let them go over the hill. When i went to retrieve them, I found nothing but one small drip of blood. I took my 22 back to the range and it was shooting 4.5 " low and to the left a little. I sighted it back in and did take a coon with it but didn't get the pic. I went out lastnight onto a property that I'm deeming cursed form here on. I already missed fox 3 times on this property. Lastnight, I took out the 22-250 and figured I do some coyote sounds instead. I walked to the far end and got caught in a stand off with deer in the field i was going to hunt. I didn't want to get them snorting, so I took my time and just bumped them a little. I seen a fox take off up wind from my set up as well. I walked to the far down wind side and started off with a lone howl at about the number 8 volume. I kept an eye on a deer that was in the opposing woods and something else caught my eye. It was a fox coming back but I would just catch eyes every once in a while. I turned on my scope light and waiting until I seen the eyes to lip squeak it to a spot. This all happened and I was in a little bit of a bind with tall grass. I identified the target and for some reason I focused on the darker area of the spine and shot high. I find myself doing that with the BDC reticle for some reason. I even shot my Coyote high. I really need to get my act together. My sightings are going down and I can't keep blowing opportunities like this.
FayetteNam

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Missed again!!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 02:46:57 PM »
It was a fox coming back but I would just catch eyes every once in a while. I turned on my scope light and waiting until I seen the eyes to lip squeak it to a spot. This all happened and I was in a little bit of a bind with tall grass.

Are you sitting or standing? I find at night it's much easier to see while standing.
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline Bulldog

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 06:53:54 PM »
I agree get a good bipod tripod an you should be good

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 06:57:13 PM »
I was sitting with a bi pod. I always wondered about a standing bi pod. I know for certain, many times standing with a stable platform would have made things easier but the amount of walking I do sometimes wouldn't make sense to spend $300 plus dollars right now. Even last night I seen a fox mousing when I was standing then again when I was sitting but by this time it was to close and i feared that turning on my kill lite would have scared it so I tried to catch the fox in my headlamp and scope at the same time. No luck! Another missed opportunity. Anyone recommend one that is light to carry and quiet to set up?
FayetteNam

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 03:25:01 PM »
Thanks Rick! I'm gonna have to look into one soon.
FayetteNam

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 12:04:42 PM »
it happend again. Went out last night and called in a huge gray and missed it at 35, 70,and two shot at around 90 yards. All i have is a couple patches of fur in the thicket from the last shot. I don't know what is wrong with this gun. Maybe I need to sand down some of the plastic forend. Any suggestions for the Remington 700 adl?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 12:06:28 PM by predator77 »
FayetteNam

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
Predator 77
What makes you think it is the gun. If off a solid shooting rest you can group your shots under 2 inches at 100 yards. Then put up 2 inch circles at 25,50,75,100 yards and shoot just the way you do in the fields. If you miss any you need to practice shooting or a better shooting method. Makes a person also wonder why all the guys that kill alot of predators and miss very few if any misses at all carry them Big Dumb Tripods? :-)
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 12:27:35 PM »
I think I found out the problem but it's just a thought. I still have the remington cheap stock on my gun. The barrel is not floating on it and the stock is so cheap and flimsy that when I'm turning slightly with by bipod it's flexing my forend and touching the barrel. I would love to have a tripod but I honesly don't think it would get the use to justify buying it for the style of hunting I do. I park and walk sometimes several hundred yards to a better vantage point. I'm just gonna start taking my 22 mag out more and my 12ga incase a coyote comes in close.
FayetteNam

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 01:00:14 PM »
Predator 77
You should try the 2 inch test shots also with you 22 mag.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 01:14:09 PM »
Thanks Ernie. I will try that.
FayetteNam

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 01:34:35 PM »
Presator 77
Good, testing and trusting your shot ability will be something you will not have to think about when you need to take the shot.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline Mustangman_99

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 02:29:22 PM »
If you are going to you use 22mag I suggest the cc1 ballistic tip rounds.  The cci and hornady both are 2200fps.  Hornady makes round just like these but I did some research on them and the hornady loses velocity faster then the cci.  I have dropped 4 fox and 1 yote with these.  The yote was about 60yds away facing me and I took it right between the front shoulders and it went I'd say less than 20yds.  I uses these rounds on coon and groundhog also with groundhogs it need to be a head shot or sometimes they crawl back into their hole.  I'm shooting a Marling 882SSV heavy barrel.

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 11:01:11 AM »
Hey...here is my .02 for what it is worth.  I'm no expert but feel what I am saying is true.

Two things:

I was able to use the Carnivore Tripod:  http://ewcalls.com/products-page/gun-rests .  Before using it, I felt it made no sense to carry an 11 pound tripod, stand in the fields, and shoot fox.  Uncle Buck highly recommended it to me and I have great respect for the man so I gave it a try.  Having used it I can say I was totally incorrect.  It is amazing... standing when you shoot allows me a much greater visiblity to cover terrain because in the rolling hills where I hunt, standing gives me much more coverage.   None of the fox I killed ever saw me behind the tripod...I would not have believed anyone telling me it unless I experienced it for myself.  I killed every fox I shot except one that I later found out was 400 yards out and I failed to account for the wind and distance on a very windy night.  Bottom line is I was a huge skeptic and now I would like to buy one when I save up the $329.  Cry once...

Second, a light trigger helps me alot.  Triggers are an individual thing but it makes a big difference for me.

Hope something I said is helpful.  Could be lots of factors but I have shared two things I feel confident about and something to think about anyway.

Good shooting,

Mike