Author Topic: Noob)  (Read 2365 times)

Offline bowiejunk

Noob)
« on: July 02, 2012, 01:31:25 PM »
     SO here goes my headlong plunge into coyote hunting... Super stoked to get some new experiences hunting at night.

I live in Allegheny County, but have a few fields that are cut on the top of a couple hills right into Washington County... They are for the most part, half mowed, half 2' grass/brush, all lined with trees.  There is a pond that has water half way up the hill. its not the best or freshest, but there are fish the guy stocks.  either way, my friend showed me the signs.  scat, trails, and he said hes heard something there a few times at night... someone buried a cat by the water and a few days later, dug up...would a coyote do that? we tried one night but just took guns and nerve into the woods for a few hours after dark and saw nothing... we had an electric call but had no clue what we were doing. my buddy took his 30-06 and i had a 12ga. with 3shot 3" full choke.  i might sound like a crazy person but i swear we heard something trot up to us from the tree line through the weeds and right past us... either way we could see nothing and heard one little skreeeeeeeech at the start of the hunt and stayed out for like 4 hours doing nothing...its been really hot lately and wander what bearing that has on them. i learn quick but have no one to teach me...

So here are my questions:

1  Gun.  12ga good?   

2. How do I hunt them?      ie, season, time, bait, decoy, stalk, blind, tree stand, light...

3. Wind... how do i learn it?                <--------------      Heard this is EVERYTHING!!!

4. Calling... For real, I'm calling coyotes? <--------------      Need UBER basic on this...

I'm hoping I'm not asking for too much the first time posting, but I'm really excited... time for me will be limited real soon with one on the way... 4 months left!!! hoping i might be able to steal away and smash out some real fun hunting when i get the chance...

Thanks alot for any help and look forward to the insight!!!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 01:58:18 PM by bowiejunk »

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Noob)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 05:54:21 AM »
12 ga will work, I like a .223

Offline scottm2012

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 07:35:09 AM »
Though I'm a noob too, I've found quite a few interesting videos on Youtube related to calling and setting up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93uqQtJp2zA&feature=relmfuvideo

This video starts a 5 part series by Field and Stream and Randy Anderson.  Also google Dan Thompson he has some good videos on the types of calls and how to call.
Scott Morgan
District 3
TC Venture 308, Savage 340C 222, Dan Thompson and Bees O'Brien Calls 

"I am not your subject. I am the man who keeps you free. I am not your servant. I am the person whom you serve. I am not your peasant. I am the flesh and blood of America."

Joshua Boston

Offline Bulldog

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 03:52:41 PM »
I'm with leglifter 12 ga an 223