Author Topic: Coyote sounds  (Read 6053 times)

Offline predhunter82

• Junior Forum Member
Coyote sounds
« on: March 11, 2012, 10:10:06 AM »
I have a quick question for all the expierenced callers out there. I was calling last night mainly starting off with a female. Bark howl and then following it up by some whimpers. Basically trying to sounds as needy as ever( if you know what i mean). So i was about 24 minutes into my set and i heard 2 WHOOPS from about 300 to 4000to yards behind me. I continued my whimpers for about 20 more minutes. At this point i packed it up and left since i didnt see anything or hear anything else. Were the two whoops coyotes that winded me or was it another animal? Should i have stopped alling?
Chris Gilga
District 3

Tools: T/C 22-250, Savage 10 Predator .204 Ruger, Remington 11-87 12 ga, Fox Pro Fury, EWT Kill Lights 250 and 100. Various Mouth Calls

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Coyote sounds
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 10:30:50 AM »
Hard to say without hearing it myself but it sounds as if you were busted.

I have a question for you.  Were you wimpering for 20 minutes straight?

I am far from a coyote hunting machine but I think people are over calling for coyotes.  Anyone else think this?
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline predhunter82

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 10:43:10 AM »
No i was not whimpering for 20 mon straight. Maybe 25 to 35to seconds and then silent for 3-5 min. Is this whoop a normal alert sound for coyotes?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 11:32:48 AM by predhunter82 »
Chris Gilga
District 3

Tools: T/C 22-250, Savage 10 Predator .204 Ruger, Remington 11-87 12 ga, Fox Pro Fury, EWT Kill Lights 250 and 100. Various Mouth Calls

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 01:17:31 PM »
I don't know if its normal but definately a sign that you are busted.  I have heard it several times.  A heavy bark repeated two or three times is another sign.  I still would wait a lot longer between sounds.  10 to 15 minutes,  It's hard to guess on sounds unless you can see the coyote.  A visual makes it easy to know when to call and when not to call.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 02:05:48 PM »
Was the woofs downwind of your location?If you were 24 minutes in I would say that was enough time for them to circle probably out of your sight and pickup your scent.Don't over do it with the calling.I can't say you did anything wrong,they are just extremely good at figuring out whats there and not being seen.Try not to give them a good downwind route,use roads,buildings even big open fields that you can see across to help with that.If there is a slight hill ,fencerow etc. downwind they will take advantage of it to circle and wind you.I think guys call in more coyotes than they realize they just never see them.Welcome to the thrills of coyote hunting.Probably the toughest critter out there to get a shot at.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 07:01:02 PM »
I heard this "whoop" once while howling to locate with my son, (not hunting).
It almost sounded like a human playing a trick on me, but right after the "whoop" the rest of the family group lit up, and we could here them charging through the dry leaves in the thick woods to our location.
They were within 30 or so yards when my 9 year old boy freaked out and yelled for me to get back in the truck, spooking them

Offline predhunter82

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 08:12:40 PM »
Leglifter

How far away from your son were they when they whooped? Is it possible that this sound in the coyote language could be used for more then one thing? At first i was associating this sound to the putt that a turkey makes to alert the rest.
Chris Gilga
District 3

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 09:00:21 PM »
Yea I've heard the whoop or woof that leglifter is referring to,they do that just before they light up,but then there are times when all you here is a woof thats a bad sign.

Offline predhunter82

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 09:13:12 PM »
So do you guys think that if you were on a stand and heard yhem woof and they did not light up then it would be beneficial to howl?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 09:15:47 PM by predhunter82 »
Chris Gilga
District 3

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 09:13:41 PM »
Leglifter

How far away from your son were they when they whooped? Is it possible that this sound in the coyote language could be used for more then one thing? At first i was associating this sound to the putt that a turkey makes to alert the rest.

We just parked along the road at a spot that I cant get permission on. The whoop was about 200 yards from us but the rest of the group was off to that coyotes left about 75 yards.
It almost seemed like the whoop was made by the dominant, telling the others to start yelling at us intruders.
I could almost picture the group listening to me and looking at each other not knowing what to do, then they gave us what for when they were prompted
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 09:14:30 PM by Leglifter »

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 09:44:52 PM »
In my opinion if all you heard was a woof your busted.But it never hurts to try.

Offline predhunter82

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 09:55:46 PM »
Thats what i was thinking to. I guess its on a case by case basis.once your busted whats it hurt to call agwain. Who knows maybe it would get them to come back in. I will try it next time i get busted. Hopefully i have to wait a while.
Chris Gilga
District 3

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 10:36:51 PM »
I think a desperate KiYi would work best in that situation

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 09:19:31 PM »
i love all this info im finding on this site...this is some invaluable stuff...didnt know they had an alert sound...great to know...awesome stuff
J.Cooper
District 4, Camp Hill

Offline Humorris

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 03:38:30 PM »
I think a desperate KiYi would work best in that situation
Been watching lots of videos to learn and this has worked to halt them in their tracks even after they busted the hunter.