Author Topic: A-bolts coyote  (Read 2237 times)

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
A-bolts coyote
« on: February 20, 2012, 07:00:03 AM »
The coyote shot by A-bolt really highlights the diversity of hunting situations we face in Pa.. I could never get a coyote like this, unless I saw him in the daytime or he came in on top of me at night. I was in the Newport hunt over the weekend and was primarily hunting on private property between 2 developments. You couldn't get on SGL 170 with a shoe horn!  Around 10pm on Friday night a friend and I had coyotes howl at us, also every dog within earshot..it was pure mayhem for several minutes...Coyotes and Dogs, I'll bet they were loving us up in the houses, even though I'm sure they didn't have a clue what instigated it..No coyote showed and the possibility of a dog showing loomed large. Unfortunately bad things are the result for urban hunters..the coyotes get wise to you,the dogs sometimes come check you out, and the coyotes flank you and lurk in the cover. Not complaining, a fun time was had by all and at least we heard something...

Offline shortmagger

• Junior Forum Member
Re: A-bolts coyote
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 09:09:16 PM »
the dogs sometimes come check you out, and the coyotes flank you and lurk in the cover.

I have hunted with Abolt, and he is very, very good at identifying his targets as they come in.  There's a lot to be said, as you did, about how coyotes will flank you/get downwind on their way in.  You're right, coyote sounds and dog sounds all mixed together definitely lighten your grip on the trigger at night.

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 12:54:15 AM »
That is a tactic that the Eastern Coyote will do to you many a time...Flanking you from the side....Use it to the advantage...Just be aware of it.  Once you see it happening time after time after time you start to watch for it!!!!! 

You would think at times that the Eastern Coyote is trained in evasive and tactical type maneuvers!!!  Sometimes I feel like being attacked by skirmisher from a Civil war  infantry unit.  LOL

Offline foxfx

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 09:02:17 AM »
That's the fun part.  Walking out seeing exactly what kind of animal you just shot.   :D