Author Topic: tips for a slick fox?  (Read 4380 times)

Offline screamn in the nite

• Junior Forum Member
tips for a slick fox?
« on: January 30, 2012, 07:10:11 PM »
Anybody got a good tip to fool a slick grey fox? I know there are two of them there. I've seen them many times over the past three years while spotting deer. It's a field that's on hillside. Bordered by woods that were logged some time ago. Lots of scrubby new growth. I've tried rodent distress, rabbbit distress, bird distress,  grey fox distress and grey fox pup distress. I'm careful of the wind direction. Never get any response  ??? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.   ::)

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Re: tips for a slick fox?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 07:34:59 PM »
Screamer
If you are sure they are still there and not just think they are. They sure can be called in.
Gray fox live in holes and places were other animals can not bother them. You may just be calling to them when they are not out running around. If they are down a hole when you are calling. No one can call them in from down a hole because they never hear you. Try different times and warm fronts, calling is just one part of getting critters. Woodsman ship on learnig predators and there movements helps put fur on the ground. Just like any animal you hunt, understanding there habits goes a long ways. Gray fox on some days and nights run a lot and other times they just hole up for a wile it seams. You will have to figure that out. Snow on the ground will tell you alot. Next time it snows check them out and see what going on in your area by there tracks.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 08:11:36 PM »
Thanks buckwheat. I'm sure they're still there. Saw them last week again. Hunted them the next two nights. Usually see them around 6:15 p.m. Just not when i'm hunting them. Guess that's why they say sly like a fox. Finally got some fresh snow last night. Due to my work schedule, I won't get to scout around or hunt again until wed & thurs.  :-\

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 10:26:49 PM »
Did you try hunting them at 6:15?

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 12:43:20 PM »
Yes I've tried that several times with no luck. Seems like everytime i'm there it's not. Gets frustrating after a while and start to lose confidence. Also had the weather stacked against me all month. Im my neck of the woods it's been bouncing back and forth drasticaly. Last two nights were cold and windy. Today it's almost 50° and sunny. The snow we did get will soon be gone. Radical weather shifts every couple days.

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 03:04:02 PM »
You just have to keep trying. Two years ago I called at a new farm and the first 5 times I called there I called in gray foxes and either shot or missed them. Ever since then I haven't got a thing on that farm but I know there are foxes on it. I also know from scouting there that there are fox holes in a bank close to where I call. So either they are in their holes or out hunting to far away to hear my call. I personally don't believe that there is a fox that will hear my call and not come to check it out. Lots of times I have seen a fox, called to it, and it came charging in every time. Don't give up and one of these nights you are gonna have a gray come charging in. I have even had them come up to my fox pro and cock their heads into the speaker end while the sound (rodent distress) was blaring out. Needless to say, those fox didn't live to tell about it.

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 08:17:58 PM »
Coyotenightmare. Thanks for the input and encouragement. Much appreciated. A big thank you to uncle buck also. Great tip  i'll be sure to add that to the bag of tricks  :D

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 10:32:02 PM »
persistance pays off!!! got set up just before dark tonight. started of with the lucky bird sound on my foxpro. like clock work. the slick gray that had eluded me charged in at 6:15. much to my surprise, it turned around and disappeared just as quickly as it had showed. i thought maybe i was busted... i instantly switched up to the screamin' gray fox sound. it came charging right back in. i raised my gun and turned on my kill light in one fluid motion. my shot found it's mark, and the slick gray fox is slick no more. i was frustrated and losing confidence in this spot. glad i kept at it. it was one of my most exciting hunts. a memory i'll carry forever.  ;D

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 10:05:24 AM »
Congrats!!

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 10:12:52 AM »
Congrats.  I remember my first gray.  I called him in twice just like you, they moved fifty yards and called him in for the last time of his life.  Your not doing that with a red!
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 04:53:16 PM »
Congrats! You won't be the same now...dare I say that you are hooked on predator hunting now? I love to see those grays come charging in, but you gotta be fast and put them slick ol fox on the ground.

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 06:16:46 PM »
Thanks guys. You are right coyotenightmare. I'm hooked and they sure are fast. Should've kept calling. maybe I could've doubled up. Was so pumped on adrenaline I didn't think of it until later.  :-\  Rookie mistake. Lol...