Author Topic: 35 mm scope tube  (Read 2812 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
35 mm scope tube
« on: January 18, 2012, 06:39:17 AM »
Has anyone looked through a scope with a 35mm tube?Just wonder what the field of view is like.

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: 35 mm scope tube
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 08:14:12 AM »
Schmitt and Bender has a 35mm tube scope. Pretty close to a 30mm tube scope.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 08:36:49 AM »
I was discussing the advantages of 50mm objective versus 40mm objective with a salesman the other day and he claimed there was not a noticeable difference.To prove his point he took 2 Leupold's same power one 40mm and one 50mm and told me to take them outside and see what you think.I could see no advantage.Like he said it doesn't matter what size objective you have your still squeezing it through a 1 inch tube.Now increase your tube size to 30mm or more and things start to open up.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 05:06:50 PM »
Yes but what about lighting?  50mm would let more light in for early morning or late day shots I would think?
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 08:06:46 PM »
I agree 100% with Looking for fur. I bet there is a difference  at night with whatever shooting light you use also.

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 09:40:48 AM »
I also agree with Lookn4fur, that the big advantage of a 50mm objective versus the 40 mm is the amount of light that is allowed in the front of the scope. Makes a huge difference early in the morning and late in the day.
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 10:25:21 AM »
When I did the comparison it was almost dark and I honestly could not see a significant difference in brightness.I was suprised my self.No light was used at the time though that could make a difference.I compared two scopes I have a 3x9x40 with1 inch tube and a 1x4x24 with 30mm tube both set on 3 power and sighted them both at a siding wall and counted how many rows of siding could be seen.Which one had the bigger field of view??

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 03:23:31 PM »
I'm guessing your going to say the 1X4X24 but have no idea why?  You have peaked my interest.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline bdawg

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 08:22:26 PM »
well im confused, how could you have a smaller objective than tube size, or better yet why and how could it have a larger fov at the same power??maybe im not understanding something here.
district #1

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 10:16:32 PM »
30mm is the outside tube diameter 24mm is the inside viewing window.The f.o.v. is identical on both scopes.If you don't believe me do some comparisons yourself.I wouldn't have either until I seen it for my self.I believe I have pictures of both under the district 4 hunt.