Author Topic: couple of noobs  (Read 3467 times)

Offline millstine

couple of noobs
« on: January 13, 2012, 10:49:53 PM »
Hay all! My BIL and I have become interested in shooting some predators and the internet tells me this is the place to go. Anyway, my BIL is more of a hunter than I but I've always wanted to shoot some foxes/yotes. A couple of questions I had are 1) is it a bad or good sign if crows hall tail out the area once you start calling? We are using a rabbit distress call if that helps. 2) how late into the season do you stop keeping yote pelts? I got my license late and was wondering if yote and coon pelts are any good during the summer. If you got any tips or tricks for a cumberland valley
South Middleton hunter id love to hear them.
I've only been out once yet but I got the itch!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 11:16:51 PM by millstine »

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: couple of noobs
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 07:55:44 AM »
Hello and thanks for signing up.  I wouldn't worry about the crows leaving.  Predators will often come into an area with crows cawing looking for kills or food the crows left behind.  Crows are very smart.  They may have seen you or just didn't find the rabbit that was making all that noise and lost interest.  They could have been just leaving for the morning.

You will find that coyote fur is most prime from the middle of November to the middle of January.  I have seen decent fur into March.  A lot depends on what if anything you are doing with the fur and the condition it is in.  You can hunt coyotes year round but that is a individual choice.

As far as raccoon, you are not able to hunt raccoon outside of the furbearer season and the fur would be no good to you or anyone in the summer.  Please read up on the laws before you enter the woods.  Thanks and good luck.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline dibo (Bob)

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 08:11:57 AM »
Welcome and enjoy its a great place to learn...
Live everyday as its your last...

Bob Huston
District 3 Co-Coordinator

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 10:47:56 AM »
Welcome !   :D