Author Topic: three weeks three new catfishin personal bests  (Read 6364 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
three weeks three new catfishin personal bests
« on: August 06, 2011, 01:01:01 PM »
the last three weeks we have been out catfishin atleast one night during the weekend.  three weeks ago I took out my lil brother and his girlfriend and she ended up catching a 16lb flathead.  it was her first time out catfishing.  last weekend I took my cousin jason and his wife and he ended up landing a 11.5lb spawned out channel.  if it was full and healthy I bet he woulda went 14lbs.  Then last night I took my father and a family friend out and dad caught a new PB 18lb flathead.  the bite was off last night compared to the past few times out but we ended up with constant action except for the last hour.

we caught all three of these fish on points that lead from deep water to shallower water. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 01:01:18 PM by bigben »
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: three weeks three new catfishin personal bests
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 01:02:06 PM »
here is dads 18lb flat from last night. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 03:55:17 PM »
Thanks for sharing Ben..Cograts to lucky anglers...how much do you charge for this guide service??? lol  ;D

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 07:26:15 PM »

Offline predator94

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 09:26:11 PM »
What kind of bait are u having the best luck with? Thanks

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 10:47:04 AM »
cutbait.  if it swims in the water your fishing it will work for cut bait.  the biggest thing is having enough of bait and change it out every 20 mins no matter what.  the third guy in the boat friday night found out that using old water logged bait will only catch a few fish.  thats what he gets for being stubborn though.

Offline predator94

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 02:52:19 PM »
what kind of cut bait actually is it?

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 03:04:44 PM »
Don't really want to speak for him but when I fished with him he used sun fish.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline predator94

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 09:09:02 PM »
O ok gotcha cool never used anything other than worms minnows and liver but you have a lot more success than I do so I think I'm going to try some of that

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 10:13:31 AM »
trout, bluegills, fallfish, chubs, suckers, carp, if ti swims in the water your fishing you can use it for cutbait.  I fillet the fish.  then cut the head off then cut the tail off.  this gives 5 pieces of bait.  if it is a smaller bluegill I will only cut them into 4.  you will be surprised what a 5.b channel can eat.  I had a 4lb channel smash and eat a live whole rock bass that was 6-7" long.  the flathead dad caught I could stick my whole fist in his mouth easy.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 03:53:37 PM »
Thanks for sharing Ben..Cograts to lucky anglers...how much do you charge for this guide service??? lol  ;D

actually I typically provide everything.  I have taken a couple people out from the association over the past few weeks.  I took frank and danielle (they were at the d2/d4 campout) out a few weeks ago and they caught the catfish bug.  they have been out fishing pretty much every weekend since then.  my cousin is a member as well.  we might have to get a ppha catfishin night/day together sometime.  if your looking for big fish jaspr call or pm me in october and i'll try to put ya on some 10-15lb fish. 

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 12:46:16 PM »
I ended up sticking another new personal best.  this time it was mine though.  21 lb flathead. 

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 01:21:09 PM »
Nice fish Ben.  Congrats!
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Renny

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 02:47:25 PM »
Awesome!!

Offline bowman732000

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 04:27:44 PM »
Watch the carp,im pretty sure you can not use them for bait.Although i cant imainge why.You can use legal size walley and bass but not carp ,go figure.Congrats on your pb ben nice fish.