Author Topic: Light shield  (Read 1698 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Light shield
« on: June 07, 2011, 06:54:51 PM »
This idea of using ones light as your shield or curtain is especially important when hunting in parties of 2 or more.Always have your light on when walking the fields to your hunting location,scanning constantly for eyes that at times seem to appear out of nowhere.I've had occasions when walking to a stand that eyes suddenly appear at fairly close range to my suprise and have to stop in my tracks.If the light was not scanning you would have been busted before you even started.I believe they are so focused on mousing that they but there guard down somewhat that allows us to approach so closely.
  Now here's the very important part where most people go wrong including myself up until last year.The early part of last season I was taking some other hunters along on different occasions and was having very good success with call ins but almost always they would circle wide just out of  range.I didn't know exactly what was happening but after some serious thought and talking to some other members I had a game plan.This would only happen when someone was with me.When I was by myself they would all but run over me.So it had to be the second party.When hunting with a partner ideally I like to sit back to back that way if a fox approaches both hunters are protected by the curtain of light.BUT sometimes that's not possible such as hunting a fencerow with a man on each side separated by 30 feet or so.You are covered by your light in front of you but the persons moving figure behind you is going to get you busted.So when a fox approaches lip squeak to let your partner know that he needs to stop moving.