Author Topic: chuck hunting last night  (Read 2734 times)

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
chuck hunting last night
« on: April 28, 2011, 06:44:36 AM »
Forrest and I took a walk after dinner last night to look for some chucks.  about the third field we checked one ran into a hole.  we set up and waited. a couple of minutes went by and the chuck stuck its head out, we waited a few minutes for him to come out, when it seemed like it was coming out any further, forrest took the shot with his 22-250, went over and checked the hole and the chuck was lying there with a huge hole out the back of his head.  Forrest was happy, it was his first shot at an animal with his new gun.  we walked down to the next field and another one was out feeding.  i wasn't happy with the shot because of a road that ran down along the other side of the field.   we waited until the chuck gave us a better angle and i took the shot with me .17 fireball.  hit him behind the shoulder.  flattened him out where he stood,  small entery hole behind the shoulder, no exit.    score is now Forrest - 1 , me - 1. 

i like forrest new 22-250 and it shoots really well but i love the .17 fireball and no exits.   it will be intresting to see the advantages and disadvantages of each gun over the summer. 

uncle buck

Re: chuck hunting last night
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 09:22:39 AM »
Good stories thanks for sharing...I like both the 22250 and the 17 Center Fires....The 17's really make me enjoy chuck hunting more... However the 22250 you just can't beat it for the extra energy should a coyote be well past 300 yards.. Glad to hear you two are bonding and enjoying the hunts together too... That's what it's all about!!!

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 02:49:21 PM »

6.5x284 caliber. 142 grain match king bullet gets them over 1000 yards.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 08:31:47 PM »
great job Scott and Forest!

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 09:33:08 AM »
Congratulations to both.  Where is a picture of the sharpshooter with his new rifle?  I'm jealous.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!