Author Topic: New Lathe  (Read 3832 times)

Offline bootmud

• Seasoned Forum Member
New Lathe
« on: February 23, 2007, 02:34:18 PM »
I've been tinkering around with my new lathe.   Here's the first few calls that I made.  Three of them are made from American Chestnut and the other is made from deer antler.

None of these calls have any kind of finish applied to they yet, at least not in this photo.

Thanks for looking.   bootmud

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
lathe
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 05:16:23 PM »
What did you think about the antler.  Definately different to turn.  They take finish well and look real nice when completed.  Should make for a nice addition to your line.  Damn, why did you have to get a lathe?  Now I have to compete with you also.  Just kidding, keep up the nice work and don't forget to sand, sand, sand.......Tim
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline bootmud

• Seasoned Forum Member
New Lathe
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 06:50:39 PM »
Tim,

The antler is definately more difficult turn and even harder to find a piece of antler that is suitable to turn but yes it does look nice when complete.  I definately didn't sand these chestnut calls enough and it seem that it was very soft wood, it easyily chipped.

I don't think I'll be your competition.  You'd kick my a$$ with anything that you do on a lathe. :lol:

bootmud

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Lathe
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 07:43:42 PM »
Curt, never turned chestnut but Palm is like that for me.  I hate the stuff.  Remember to turn with the grain when possible.  A light touch and a sharp tool help to reduce the chipping.  What Lathe did you end up buying?
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline bootmud

• Seasoned Forum Member
New Lathe
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 08:04:56 PM »
Tim,

I got the JET 1014VS.  Seems to work great but the operator need more practice. :lol:

bootmud

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Lathe
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 08:09:39 AM »
Thats a nice one.  I don't have the VS on the side, have to do it manually.  From what I saw already, your off to a nice start.  I have come a long way but still have a long way to go so I'll be praticing along with you.....Tim

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
New Lathe
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 09:14:57 PM »
Bootmud
Is that the first call you turned out of antler, and what finish did you use.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline bootmud

• Seasoned Forum Member
New Lathe
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 09:23:53 PM »
BW,

Yes, that's the first one that I turned with the new lathe.  I didn't apply any finish yet, wasn't sure what to use, it's so smooth.  Any suggestions????

Thanks,  bootmud

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
New Lathe
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 10:43:49 PM »
Bootmud
I would use dreft spray, but you put on it what ever you like. If you sign and date it as your first antler call on the lathe. Conceder it SOLD
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline bootmud

• Seasoned Forum Member
New Lathe
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 11:40:35 PM »
Thanks Ernie!  It's yours.

bootmud