Author Topic: Spring Gobbler Season impact on Chuck hunting?  (Read 3811 times)

uncle buck

Spring Gobbler Season impact on Chuck hunting?
« on: March 22, 2011, 07:08:05 PM »
Anyone know if they are going to close wood chuck season for the entire month of May for the Pa Spring Gobbler  season?
Also Gobbler season...???I know you will be able to hunt the entire day for Gobbler.  However is there a split time frame.. Maybe only half of the month is open for the entire day and the other half or a week is until 11:00 PM only and you have to  be out of the woods by noon?

uncle buck

Re: Spring Gobbler Season impact on Chuck hunting?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 07:19:14 PM »
SPRING GOBBLER (Bearded bird only): April 30-May 31, 2011. Daily limit 1, season limit 2. (Second spring gobbler may be only taken by persons who possess a valid special wild turkey license.) From April 30-May 14, legal hunting hours are one-half hour before sunrise until noon; from May 16-31, legal hunting hours are one-half hour before sunrise until one-half hour after sunset.

WOODCHUCKS (GROUNDHOGS): No closed season, except: Sundays; during the antlered and antlerless deer seasons; and during legal hunting hours of the spring gobbler turkey season.

Looks like from this web info... Chucks can't be hunted from May 16th through May 31st.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 07:21:55 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 07:45:37 AM »
WCO told me that they will change this next year to say that you can hunt hogs during the afternoon turkey season
if not the morning too

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 10:02:22 AM »
Can you actually hunt spring gobbler the whole day? This is new to me. I always thought it was only until noon.

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 05:17:06 PM »
This is new for this year...

Offline SongDogSilencer

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 07:23:55 AM »
Coyotenightmare- Just like Unclebuck stated, it's new this year. It's also for the second two weeks of the season.
The first two weeks you still gotta be out by noon.

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 04:53:57 PM »
Also you probably can hunt chucks in the afternoon the first two weeks of May.  Law says chuck hunting is closed during the legal shooting hours for gobblers..Now the last two weeks looks like the chuck hunters just can't hunt!!!!!

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 08:11:08 PM »
Hmmmmmm......the last two weeks of may sounds like a good time for a vacation !!!!! Spring break so to speak. ;D
Whatado !!!!
District 6
"When the queen is happy, There's peace in the kingdom."

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 04:41:48 PM »
Thanks UB and silencer. I had no idea they changed it. Good idea there longhair, but I don't think I can get a spring break from my boss. I usually get my vacation time in august to fish canada and in the rut to bow hunt big bucks. Did things different this past year. Went fishing in august, and moose hunting in september. Didn't get time off to bowhunt whitetails, but had a blast hunting moose.