Author Topic: Decoy use  (Read 2849 times)

Offline Song Dog

Decoy use
« on: March 06, 2011, 08:23:24 PM »
I'm gonna be hunting a cornfield friday morning for crow's...... Can I set out an owl decoy with my decoy's? Also, should I have my decoy's in a particular pattern? I have 2 dozen flambeau crow decoy's.... Any advice would be much appreciated.....

Thanks  Song Dog

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Decoy use
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 09:41:58 PM »
If you're using a feeding set up for crows,
I wouldn't use the owl

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 09:43:07 PM »

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 10:53:23 PM »
What I would do would be this:   Set up on a farm that has an elevated field or point on one end...Set up there at the end of the tree line.. You want the wind at your back too.. Most birds fly into the wind..  Put  a few decoys on the ground.. If your lucky and there is a post there you can put the owl decoy on the fence post. However you can't always do that.. If that's the case I put the Owl and or Hawk decoy on the ground place one of the decoy in front of the owl on the ground to simulate the raptor got one of the crows.. The other decoys can be place near by on the ground and place a few in the bush in the tree line..

When the crows come into you owl and crow fight sound...They will fly from the valley below into the wind toward the top of the hill. However when they reach the point of your stand and where the decoys are all set. They automatically put themselves in shotgun range since they fly from the low area to the high spot.. See they don't adjust.. As they reach you spot they will now be just above the tree tops... They will send in one crow first... Some people shoot this crow.. If your a good shot do that but if your not you let the first crow come in circle and he will give the all clear and the other crows  will come in fast and in groups... If you use a pump gun wear black gloves too... See your pumping motion will keep them around a bit longer.. Kind of like extra decoys  Suggest you wear a bandoleer with shotgun shells in so you can pump three more shells into the shotgun to get off three more shots before they know what hit them.. Of course your going to be in full camo and you will sit in front of the bushes.. Many people get behind bushes .. Camo made to sit in front of..  hope you see the strategy here where they fly to you into the wind but when they reach your position on the highest point of the hill  they are automatically in shotgun range..