Author Topic: Anybody rifle hunt for crows  (Read 5811 times)

uncle buck

Anybody rifle hunt for crows
« on: March 02, 2011, 11:50:15 PM »
I have taken a few shots at crows out their on the weekend with the chuck gun when they are in season..  Might be a good way to harvest some.. Sneak up on them with the rifle.. Maybe drive down a farm lane and if you see crows on the grown keep on moving and park the vehicle out of sight then sneak back and pick one off at long extreme rifle ranges...

Offline SongDogSilencer

• Junior Forum Member
Re: Anybody rifle hunt for crows
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 08:58:15 AM »
Especially if you know a farm where the farmer disposes his dead animals. Natural Baitpile. lol

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 11:42:44 AM »
Last time I tried it I was accused of trying to shoot at a plane >:(
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 11:48:19 AM »
Pa Goose  Chambersburg area... It's not just a hunt there it's an Adventure!!!!!!!LOL  LOL

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 12:02:22 PM »
I was out with the .17 Fireball last year and two crow were out at over 200 yards.  I shot one and it was flopping around....my girl says shoot it again.  I thouhgt to myself no way am I going to be lucky enough to hit it again.  Bang flop.  Couldn't believe it...was a neat feeling to reach out so far and dispatch a crow. 

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 01:20:02 PM »
That's one of the good things I heard about the 17HMR. They are accurate. While I would never use one for Fox..They could be a good crow gun if you already owned one already...I don't even own any of the 17 HMR rimfires.. I  use the 17 Center Fires.. I do realize some counties you can't use the center fires in too..

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 02:55:35 PM »
lol this sounds fun
J.Cooper
District 4, Camp Hill

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 03:24:03 PM »
.17 fireball is a centerfire.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
I dont think you can shoot them anywhere with a centerfire.  Id look in my book but the wife through it out.

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 08:12:18 AM »
I love to shoot them with my 204. As long as I do my job...its a dead crow out to 300+ yards.

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 11:33:17 PM »
what can you do with a crow carcass??? Or can i take my .243 90gr Nosler BT out and blow them up for practice/fun??????
J.Cooper
District 4, Camp Hill

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 08:27:19 AM »
I grew up on a farm and the crows are constantly doing damage somewhere somehow...their carcass is good for nothing really...I stopped in at a fly making shop and got some interest there to sell the feathers that are in good shape. Then I contacted the PGC to make sure it is legal to sell the crow feathers and they told me its not. That was new to me because the rule book says you can't sell the edible parts of legally harvested game. Since when are feathers edible? Anyway, I don't want trouble so I just throw them away...selling the feathers only makes sense, gives me some cash, and ultimately boosts the economy...but its illegal...another stupid law in my mind...blow em up cooper...but you have to let them rot away...unless you can stomach crow stew ;D

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 11:00:32 AM »
Wow..that is a stupid law...but ok..i have the land to shoot em...gonna be some fun target practice! thanks man
J.Cooper
District 4, Camp Hill

Offline scottm2012

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 01:33:47 PM »
Gearing up for July 1st.  I got my first crow hand call and have begun practicing the language of the crows.  D3 crow hunt, here I come, hopefully?
Scott Morgan
District 3
TC Venture 308, Savage 340C 222, Dan Thompson and Bees O'Brien Calls 

"I am not your subject. I am the man who keeps you free. I am not your servant. I am the person whom you serve. I am not your peasant. I am the flesh and blood of America."

Joshua Boston