Author Topic: winter sets  (Read 4190 times)

Offline coonreaper

• Junior Forum Member
winter sets
« on: February 25, 2011, 09:29:42 PM »
I know its after the season but for next year in the winter i am using 1 3/4 traps for fox but i didnt have much luck and the problem was that they would freeze up and ive been reading some differrnt things. does anyone have any advice? thank you

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: winter sets
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 09:51:42 PM »
 For winter I like the hay set but I like a # 2 offset trap with either beefed up springs or 4 springs . Reason being I have coyotes and fox .
PPHA District 3

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 05:32:09 PM »
They do sale trap antifreeze... I have mixed in mineral oil to dirt and it seems to work.. however in August go to the fields your going to trap in and fill up some buckets of soil.. keep them in a dry place at home.. use this now dry dirt when you trap in the winter.. Might get a night or two out of them before it freezes.. Trap antifreeze works but it was kind of expensive.. that why when I did use leg holds I rolled my own.. Hey it worked with the mineral oil ....Use the generic blend from the food stores or pharmacy.  They also sale Glycerin but I don't know if that is scent free like mineral oil?????
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 05:33:01 PM by uncle buck »

Renny

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 07:38:50 PM »
I use alot of dry dirt and some dry peat moss.

Offline coonreaper

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 08:18:33 PM »
Yah Renny i have a friend that uses peetmoss to bed his traps in then puts some dirt over top to make it blend in good, but like myself we are both rookies in trapping and both probably need to work out some kinks in our stratatagies with locations. And coyotejeff i wish i had some left out bails to trap by, but there just isn't any bails left out in the fields i'm at. I've heard of alot of people that had success with that though. Ill have to just try to take all of the advice you guys gave me and implicate it on different sets next year.

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 01:55:42 AM »
For the hay set you don't need left out bails .  For the hay set you just spread some hay around in a small circle make small pile in middle ( put bait or lure ) and place a trap on each side. I us this set almost anywhere . Middle of woods, fields, old tram roads, ect. the hay is eye appeal .
If I had any pics I would post one to show you what I mean. Maybe Hern or Renny can help out .
PPHA District 3

Renny

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 06:32:15 AM »
I have some pics but wont post them and I don't use the hay set much.  This crazy broad did a pretty good job of describing it....

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=149459&Board=7&fpart=all&gonew=1#UNREAD

Offline coonreaper

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 03:05:01 PM »
thanks for poastin that link. i always thought that a hay set was next to hay bails cause i know they visit them cause theres usually some mice hidin in the hay. ill deffinatly try that next year.

Renny

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 03:31:51 PM »
TIp of the week.... If the ground is frozen or if there is snow and your good enough friends with the farmer roll over round bales that are left in the field and set there.  The ground isn't frozen and its great eye appeal.....  If your great friends hell leave them where you want them.....

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
  • There aint no such thing as too dead...
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 07:53:57 AM »
Mix in some regular table salt with your sifted dirt. Works like antifreeze for a few days an is really cheap