Author Topic: good places to eat and stay.  (Read 4983 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
good places to eat and stay.
« on: February 08, 2011, 04:48:24 PM »
UB used to have a long thread on this subject on his board and to tell you the truth when you travel over this state there are several spots to eat in every town.  along with hotels to boot.  even more so when you are traveling out of your core area you want to have a good meal and a place to stay as well.  so stick up your reviews of some good diners, bars, restaurants, hotels and any other little hole in the wall delis or gas stations that are good places to stop at. 

a few to get us going. 

kwik fill hotel in kylertown, pa.  (814) 345-5645

Cheap hotel with gas, grocery, and 24hour diner close by.  I use this place sometimes when I head up riding quads at the SSRT.  The rooms are cheap and pretty good for the $.  52bux for two people a night.  Showers are warm and the beds are clean.  The diner has good food. 

Snow Shoe diner. 

When we head to the northcentral part of the state I try to do my best to stop into the snow shoe diner for a meal or two.  Their sausage gravy and biscuits are awesome and they serve breakfast all day long.  I believe they open at 7 daily.  Their house salad dressing is good as well.  They just recently started taking credit cards.  To get there when you take the snow shoe exit off I80 go to the stop sign at the intersection of rt 144 and look behind the sunoco station.  up on the hill is the diner. 

GIOS BBQ 2829 Woodland Bigler Highway, Woodland, PA (814) 857-7714

This is a small gas station/convenience store located in woodland pa right along rt 322.  We stop in here when I head to a buddys cabin in egypt pa and their BBQ is great.  Their breakfast pizza is good as well.  I normally end up getting a pulled pork sandwich and quarter chicken combo and come away stuffed. 

Brothers pizza.  783 South Eagle Valley Road 16823-4740 Bellefonte, PA (814) 355-4562

I stop here normally on my way north as well.  it is located right on rt 144.  They have great pizza.  I normally get a pizza and can eat on it two days with as big as they are.  Aint nothing like cold pizza when ya wake up in the morning.  8)  Also there is a sheetz on the other side of the road.  One thing do not stop in there when school is in session around 3pm.  it is packed with kids from the local High School.  I stopped in one day to get some gas and some ice and the store was packed.  opted out for getting ice further up the road. 

so there is a few.  these places are locations I hit and think they are decent.  please add your places as well.  try to include a location and address if possible.  along with your experience and maybe your favorite dish? 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

Re: good places to eat and stay.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 12:01:16 AM »
The Farmers wife...On RT 22 in the small town of Ono..We had a PPHA predator meeting there once..  Good place to eat if your going from Harrisburg to Allentown or From Harrisburg to Cabelas in Hamburg.. Just take 22 East just off of Interstate 81 Indiantown Gap exit.. Get on RT 22 East and you will see it on the right hand side..  Would be a nice place for PPHA members to meet again..

http://www.pubcrawler.com/Template/dsp_restaurant_zoom.cfm/flat/ID=127871

Gettysburg, Pa... The Dobbin House... go downstairs in the Springhouse  Tavern... Good food.. You might have to wait a bit on the weekends but it 's well worth it.. French Onion Soup is the best in Pa..  Check their web link out:  Remember go down stairs in the Springhouse tavern for the best price..

http://www.dobbinhouse.com/
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 12:09:28 AM by uncle buck »

Offline SongDogSilencer

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 12:19:12 PM »
BigBen- That diner at the kwikfill truckstop in Kylertown brings back a ton of memories. We used to stop there for breakfast every year on our way to deer camp in Pottersdale,Clinton county.  I remember being a little kid and so excited to be going to camp with "The Men" that my dad would had to force me to eat my breakfast. That's a problem I could probably afford to have right now, lol. 

We no longer have the camp as the deer hunting really went downhill and we started hunting closer to home.
There are tons of predators up there and that's where I shot my one and only black bear. Sorry for the Off-topic rambling. Just brought back some good memories, thanks for that.

If you're ever in the tyrone/ spruce creek area, hit up the spruce creek tavern. Get the fries. Bring a friend, they're HUGE!!!!

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 10:34:45 PM »
Magnolia  just off of Old Gettysburg Road right across from Moe Bar!!!!Nice place to take the little lady for lunch.  Take her there then you can go hunting predators  all night for sure...

http://www.cafe-magnolia.com/

Offline SongDogSilencer

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 09:47:45 AM »
Denny's Beer Barrel Pub in Clearfield. Take the burger challenge.  I didn't think a 2 lb. burger would whoop me, but it did. Some decent brews on tap as well.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 10:36:38 AM »
isn't that the place that has the huge burgers on man vs. food?
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 10:39:58 AM »
Sinnemahoning sportsmans association.

When I head north and stay at a friends cabin we normally eat at sinnemahoning sportsmans association.  They are only open thur, fri, sat, and sun.  The fish dinner on friday night is great.  and their wing dings are great as well.  The association is located west of sinnemahoning on rt 120.  the sign at the bottom of the driveway will say open if the dining room is open to the public. 

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 09:32:54 PM »
Eddies Diner and TowTruck Service...Tioga Co., right off rt 15...best omelets i've had in a long time, pretty good biscuts and gravey as well...the farmers breakfast with steak is pretty tasty too
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 06:01:55 AM »
Goodies in Duncannon...the lady who cooks has shot a few deer herself...they just do breakfast till 11am...if your not in camo or hiking gear your over dressed. 8)

Offline SongDogSilencer

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 03:25:06 PM »
isn't that the place that has the huge burgers on man vs. food?

Yes! They have smaller ones that are more manageable. Very good one called "Black n Bleu" (Black angus?bleu cheese mmmmm).

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 08:57:36 PM »
Lately....some of the good places to eat around here the food is starting to get bad... Must be the economy. Finding that you get the best fish sandwhich right now at Wendy's... They only have it for the Lenten season but it's good.. Also Panara... soups, salads, and sandwiches there just seem better then the high priced places in SCPA..
More and more we are just preferring to eat at home instead of going out to eat something special.. Looks like people working in all of these restaurants just seem not to care much.. Economy bad they just don't put their whole heart and soul into their jobs...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 09:00:19 PM by uncle buck »