Author Topic: FINALLY... the ice breaker!  (Read 6491 times)

Offline jaybird

• Junior Forum Member
FINALLY... the ice breaker!
« on: January 02, 2011, 08:29:44 PM »
been sitting in the woods and fields for a year know makin funny noises and finally got something to come in the way they say its supposed to happen, ha!

made 2 stands close to my house in the daylight starting at 3pm with rabbit distress and my decoy which produced nothing, decided to make a stop at my grams house for some leftover sauerkraut and smashed taters around 5 and headed to my uncles farm afterwards.  parked by the barn, geared up and started walking, noticed that the wind was actually in my favor (for once) and thought to myself that this spot might actually work out...  walked up the dirt field road about a hundred yards to where the cattle fence stops.  it made sense to me to sit here cuz it was the only cover for quite a ways, and with my back to the cattle, i figured any movement i made could be passed off as the cattle by whatever i might call in.  i decided to start with a low volume, closed reed, rabbit distress... i only used it for about 15-20 seconds when something in my gut told me to scan, so thats what i did... turned the kill light on, fire red eyes at 200yds, bouncing and hard chargin right at me, i honestly froze right up... i knew it was a red, and i locked up when i thought "what do i do to stop it so i can shoot?"... hahaha.. i just watched it in the scope till it stopped, i lip squeaked, it bounced another couple of yards and stopped again, blam!... the marlin 25.06 barked and she dropped right there... tickled pink, i finally called something in and made the shot count...  next step, coyote!

Offline bdawg

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Re: FINALLY... the ice breaker!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 08:33:15 PM »
congratulations, good job nice red
district #1

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 09:08:48 PM »
Great Job!!

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 09:48:43 PM »
That's awesome. Great story to boot. I will never understand why sometimes they come in as they should and sometimes not at all. Great job staying at it though. It payed off for both of us this weekend.
FayetteNam

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 12:07:43 AM »
Congrats...Notice that is the first fox I saw in a picture with a Kill Light on the firearm... That is a Kill Light  Right? Outstanding Keep Up The Good Work!!!!

Um that fox could have come to you like that because you just got done eating some Sour Crap and Smashed Potatoes??????
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 12:13:32 AM by uncle buck »

Offline savage05

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 06:44:00 AM »
Was that the same stand that the skunk/possum/cat scared the bejezzuz outta be the first time? Big Congratz!

Offline jaybird

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 07:33:35 AM »
UB... yep that is a kill light xlr250 with a pill bottle shade to stop the barrel glare... i'll eat "sour crap and smashed taters" every day if it keeps them coming in!!!... anybody know what ya gotta eat for the big woolly coyotes to come in? haha...

savage05, wrong uncle... i was down country, right behind the white barn at my cuz steve's place, down over the hill from where we made the first stand the first time we went last year... never even scouted this spot, just thought about it on the quick drive down there... "hey, this spot might work..." lol

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 07:55:47 AM »
Congratulations.  Hope there are many more in your future.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 09:30:41 AM »
Congratulations, way to go.
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 10:36:39 AM »
good job on the first.  but it sounds like you are only scanning once in a while.  if that is the case keep your light on and scan all the time.  you could have called in fox before and you never seen em.  they can come in quick and leave quicker. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 12:17:04 PM »
for sure what Ben said... I turn the headlamp down and scan on the way to the stand... scan constantly... you never know what'll get their attention and bring them running...

matter of fact one night Ben and I were out, hard crusty crunchy snow conditions... miserable time to hunt, but if ya aint out there you'll see nothing at all... we'd just pulled into one farm and I was getting my tripod out of the truck and accidently bumped the mouse squeaker taped to the bar and before we could get the rest of the equipment out of the truck, we had a red run up on us across the road from where we had parked... damn thing played hide and seek with us for the whole stand but wouldn't give us a clear shot... oh well gotta leave some for seed...

scan constantly...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline savage05

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 07:12:45 PM »
What type of headlamps are you guys running?

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 07:18:21 AM »
I use a predator light but used a nite lite wizard before. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Bern

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 08:35:51 PM »
congrats / Thats a nice looking rig ya got there!

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 11:19:33 AM »
What type of headlamps are you guys running?

Nite Lite all the way... use it for the head lite and the shooting lite...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...