Author Topic: Post web links that will help predator hunters with trips in the outdoors  (Read 7749 times)

uncle buck

« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 06:24:27 PM by uncle buck »

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 02:49:42 PM by zekedogg »
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

uncle buck

Re: Post web links that will help predator hunters with trips in the outdoors
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 10:11:06 PM »
Saw where the PGC now have a campaign to pay all of this $$$$$$$$ just to get people interested in hunting.. Looks like they are giving the money to the media to push commercials.. wow wouldn't it be great that in the off season they took some of this money and set up training for specific types of hunting.. Predator hunting would be one area that they could do class  room training at areas across the state.. things to cut down on the learning curve of new predator hunters.. As you know once you call in your first predator or shoot at your first predator you are hooked...I do realize that to get people motivated it's like anything else .. family is so important.. By running commercials about hunting that's just not going to light the fire in someone... Train someone in a specific type of hunting and they will try it and probably call in a predator from what they would learn in a classroom and they'd be hooked on hunting for sure.. Doesn' have to be predator hunting.  I know they give trapping schools already... they probably should do everything.. Ducks, turkeys, why even crow hunting..  yep they should!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 01:30:47 AM »
Unclebuck
we do that with the youth field days already.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 05:12:22 AM »
Harrisburg Hunters and Anglers abd Cumberland York does that too but they don't give people training in actual type hunting for all of our game species. I'm talking about  how to make actual shots st night what to do on stand. Not just showing them a few sounds on a call and hold up a light. Etc. Down to earth how to training not an overview. Good for you if you show the kids and sdults  how to things in Lancaster. Here it was telling them what license they need etc. Things that didn't inspire.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 05:15:54 AM by uncle buck »

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 09:06:59 AM »
UB
That is correct we only touch on the sport. But if a person is interested there is a ton of information out there to sift through. In the field is the adventure and fun. The jurney of learning is half the fun. Once you get there half the fun is over.
How much should we teach and at what cost?

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 06:06:21 PM »
I think I just might be a little upset on how the PGC is going about trying to promote hunting.. Just having media take the  $$$$$$ and push commercials on the tube isn't going to motivate old and or new hunters.  I was thinking back to when my son attended PGC school in Pa Luzerne County Bear Creek camp... the PGC gave them their hunter safety test at the end of the event.. they stayed in cabins there and or tents for 3 days. They actually even learned how to use a compass. That's the kind of training they did give the young back in 1987.  This camp out was in June after school was out... they shot compound bows, flintlocks, . Now if the PGC did something like this and they got a few predator hunters to teach them in the classroom and even doing simulated set ups on how to call in predators at night... This could truly light the fire and make hunters out of people. I know this guy that is allowing his  4 year old daughter to hunt turkey, deer, etc.. I just don't think this is how you get kids to hunt... waiver Waiver Waiver hunting...

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 10:23:48 PM »
Unclebuck
I not sure there is a fix. First off we can not get anybody to give up one day for youth field days. I can not even imagine getting people all over the state giving up two or three days for free.
I think there us no easy answer. I think we are just losing hunters because everthing is posted and what is not there is no game. Up north there is some game but kids do not get to experience it enough to learn.
I am not sure there is a fix. Sportsmen club all across the state tried but these clubs just end up as a place to shoot pistols and some rifle shooting. 
In 1987 there were still plenty of hunting to be had. Today we are competing with tons of new stuff with instant gratification. You hardly see kids playing out side. The only place you see kids out side is in cities were they are trying to find stuff to do. The rest are inside watching tv or playing on the computer. Kinda like we are doing now. I think if any one has an idea that truly can help and does not cost a fortune the PGC  would do. Anybody have any real ideas? I am sure they are needed.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 10:27:24 PM by Buckwheat »

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 10:34:25 PM »
Ernie your right.. it's all high tech things now kids want to play with inside! :(  Maybe we need to start them all on the game of Sporting Clays...They might get hooked on it because it's a game? :(