Author Topic: lights  (Read 2348 times)

Offline Boro Pup

lights
« on: November 23, 2010, 02:28:44 PM »
Not sure what kind of lighting is needed for night hunting,and if you guys have some ideas for cheaper versions that would get the job done it would be much appericated.

uncle buck

Re: lights
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 07:30:16 PM »
What do you hunt with rifle or shotgun?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 07:30:42 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Boro Pup

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 10:08:57 PM »
usually I hunt with a shot gun since I'm in allegheny county.

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 11:37:10 PM »
Go to Wal-Mart camping department...Raovac Value Bright Floating lantern. Cost is  $3.59. spot light that comes with a 6 volt battery too... Color the white lens with Red Dykem or even a red water proof marker.. Get one with a wider tip instead of a sharpie. If you canfind some type of red plastic that can fit on the front of the lantern you can tape that on too. However I like the red dykem. This cheap lantern has 75 lumen's too.  Not bad for a $3.59 light with a battery yet..   Hold your now red lens shooting light by the handle to scan for eyes. Keep it in front of you at all times.. It good for seeing the predators that are coming into your calls and of course lighting up the fox eyes when you shoot... Place an bobber light near the bead of the shotgun...Best are the types with a small battery they will last all year.. Dab the bobber light with black felt tip market to take some of the glare off the bulb..You can find these bobber lights in Dicks, Gander, Cabelas, Basspro...all in their fishing department by the bobbers.. Affix the small bobber light stylk near the bead of the shotgun with adhesive backed Velcro. If you have a rib on the shotgun use a small plastic tie to hold it on also...

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 06:16:17 AM »
Also, big ben told me one time that you can get a recharable battery for the laterns for about 10 bucks. 

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 07:46:03 AM »
yep them batts are for the wildlife feeders.  I think moultree makes em. 

“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 12:57:05 PM »
I know PPHA members have taken this same light changed the bulbs (Increased the Lumen's) and  added a toggle switch.  However the light for shotgun is just fine if you just push the button and keep the light on for the entire calling sequence...I keep one in the car should my other shooting light burn out on me.  Truly like it with the Red Dykem.. Makes it a orange spot more then red and it does illuminate real well for a shotgunner..