Author Topic: Last Night  (Read 2630 times)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Last Night
« on: November 06, 2010, 03:09:41 PM »
Plans fell through last night so I took My son Jake out for his first predator hunt.  Put five sets in with only one Fox down but it was one of the best hunts of my life because my son was with me. 

First stand brought out a coon and a deer.  No shots were fired.  Second set we came up empty.  Third set, got busted walking in with what I am claiming to be a coyote.  Started calling and about two minutes in a fox appears hard charging but put the brakes on at fifty yards and quickly turned and ran back to about 75 yards.  I lip squeeked him to a stop and Jake missed.  He was so pumped.  He said "Dad, I never thought we would se anything tonight".  I explained that it's not always like this.

Fourth set called another bouncing Red in but I couldn't coax him any closer.  He sat down about 75 yards away and Jake kept asking me if he could shoot.  I guess I was so excited for him to get his first Fox I let him take the chance.  Another miss.  After a discussion about the events that unfolded, we both realized our mistakes and vowed to not make them again.  It was that time I realized that we only had one more bullet left because I forgot the box of ammo again. 

Jake was a little depressed about missing so he wanted me to shoot for our last set of the night.  I agreed but as we started I was thinking I should just let him get behind the gun when suddenly there stood another red that I quickly put down.  What a night to share with my son.  I think he is hooked.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Last Night
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 05:07:48 PM »
Sounds like a great night!!

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 07:05:22 PM »
Now you will have the best hunting partner there is. His memories from last night will last him for the rest of his life.
President PPHA

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 08:18:04 PM »
sounds like a good night tim.  glad to see ya got jake interested in the sport. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 01:01:22 AM »
Outstanding !!!!!!!I like to hear things like this... Sounds like he's hooked too...

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 08:35:37 AM »
He likes to shoot and hunt but when you take him deer hunting and he sees nothing, he loses interest.  This is why he never wanted to go predator hunting.  He didn't think he would see anything.  I think he is changing his mind.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 04:04:31 PM »
My son at that age would rather hunt crows with call and decoys then hunt fox... Action for crow hunting is usually constant and they tend to like that more...