Author Topic: light shyness  (Read 3283 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
light shyness
« on: November 04, 2010, 07:33:04 PM »
My son and I went out hunting the other night and had a fairly successful night calling.We both had our own lights scanning in different directions.Called in 4 fox that were seen approaching at long distances but they all refused to come within about 150 yards no matter what noises I made.Normally when hunting alone with one light being used the predators can be coaxed within 30 yards.So the last stand of the night  I thought we would try it with one light and see what happens.Sure enough a fox was called to about 30 yards without issues.
 The question is do you think the use of multiple lights at a stand is causing them to hang up?

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: light shyness
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 07:38:52 PM »
Keep the animal in the halo only. Direct light will sometimes stop them
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 07:40:03 PM by foxpro51 »

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 09:18:06 PM »
As you all know that when a predator starts to come in...I'm talking red light now... Keep the red light on them...If the other person was still scanning from left to right the fox probably saw them...Once you turn to the side or turn around and look behind you it's over.. Now you do have to scan from side to side and behind you.. But again...Once you have eyes keep the red lens light in front of you between you and the fox until your going to shoot...Sometimes you can keep the light in front of you and walk out slowly and get into shotgun range...Sometimes? The red lens is the shield...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 09:19:54 PM by uncle buck »

Offline TFC2223

• Junior Forum Member
    • http://www.redeyesops.com
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 09:50:05 PM »
I have seen it many times where the light has spooked incoming predators.  Last night I called in two coyotes that were hard charging and when my friend dropped an excessive amount of light on them they both hit the brakes and stopped in their tracks.  What works for me is use the least amount of light possible to identify and make a shot.  Also keep the animal in the halo and only use the amount of the light that is necessary to pull off the shot.  As for calling partners running dual lights I have no problem with it provided that when one observes a predator the other hunter freezes and looks around no more.  We use a single lip squeek to indicate the spotting of a predator.  Also be conscientious that you don't back light your hunting partner.  This is a common mistake that many make when hunting with me. 

TFC2223 (Kirk McKendree)
Kettle Creek Calls Prostaff
HEVI-SHOT Field Staff
Kirk McKendree

RED EYES OPS

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 06:10:01 AM »
From my experiences, hunting with many partners over the years,
multiple lights at a stand is a plus, putting odds in our favor.
I have many examples, one over the top example being four of us killed 3 Fox on one stand, next stand we killed 2 Fox, all the time talking that this guys sees eye and that guy sees eyes and wait, there's another one.
I prefer to hunt with one partner, but that night was for kicks, the four of us hunt'n for fun.
Bottom line...multiple lights at a stand is a plus

I agree with 2223... be conscientious that you don't back light your hunting partner
Also, if partner is casting shadows (moving shadows) while scanning it may spook or halt incoming Fox.
or if partner is moving/walking without keeping light on incoming Fox.
These would be the 3 details that I would re-live with your hunt about 'what happened.'
If none of these details apply, then we may talk about 'why' Fox hang up on a good set up.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 06:48:16 AM »
Thanks for all the good responses.I don't really think that the light intensity was to much but I might still try to back off on that a little bit.I always try to keep the main beam off the animal until its time to shoot.Back lighting your partner is a problem but not in this case as we were separated by a fencerow in all cases.TFC 2223 made the statement to lip squeak to let your partner know when something is approaching so they can stop their scanning movement as their back is to the animal and due to the separation are not covered by the light shield.Good advice from all,I will regroup and try again.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 09:28:22 AM »
Try this.
Walk 50 or a hundred yards away from your partner shining a light straight at you have him move the light off you a little at a time. You will see if you get to far off on the main beam and just use the halo of the light you will still be able see the guy shining the light or movement. Learn to understand the lights and stand set up you use from the foxes point of view. Only takes a few minutes to try this and you will learn a life time of information.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 10:37:21 AM »
Hern
I like your last statement, but unless you are hunting with the hunter and seen the real actions on a stand you will never be able to tell them what went wrong on a good stand set up.  To start with how are you going to know it was a good stand set up to start with if you are not there and picked the spot.
All you or I or anyone can do is throw ideas out there to get them thinking on reasons why they had trouble.   

quote]If none of these details apply, then we may talk about 'why' Fox hang up on a good set up.
[/quote][
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 05:51:39 AM »
BW says-
Hern
I like your last statement

Thanks.

BW, am sorry. But wasn't trying to highjack thread to talk about 'why Fox hang up.
Just toss'n out another avenue/idea to think about if '51 realized it wasn't light shyness.
BW, my last statement was drawn from my own little world and experiences. Not well thought out to cover the mass readers from other parts of thishere country of thesehere threads.