Author Topic: boondocks silent halo shield  (Read 6890 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
boondocks silent halo shield
« on: October 28, 2010, 11:51:37 AM »
I used my predator light the opening night and didn't like how the halo was hitting my gun and was lighting me up.  I got to looking and there really is no way to tape a conventional halo shield on this light.  So I got on http://www.boondock-outdoors.com/Silent_Halo_Shield.html and seen that there was one available for a predator light.  within two days I got a package in the mail and checked it out.  This thing is well worth the money.  It is well made and works great.  it is flexible but yet holds its shape.  if it is too long you can roll it up to shorten it as well.  plus I can take it off and put it back on easily for when i need to find a downed animal.  anyone that uses a halo shield weather it be a bottle or cardboard tube or some thin plastic needs to look into one of these.  This also eliminates any light that comes back through the lens cover back on to your head.   
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: boondocks silent halo shield
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 02:43:04 PM »
I had one that night but didn't know you were having concerns.  They are nice for sure.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 02:49:30 PM »
when I use a shotgun I am fine.  It doesnt light anything that would make a predator spook till it is too late.  I stand up when using a shotgun and have been recently just turning the light so it is over my left eye.  when a predator is spotted I wait till I am ready to shoot and bring the gun up take the safe off and get him in the sites in one fluid motion and whamo dead critter.  with the rifle though it is a different situation.  even with just using shooting sticks I light up the gun barrel while hunting.  I dont like doing this mainly because if something is in front of the barrel the critter can see it as well.  plus when I was lining the shot up on that coon sat morn I was having problems with the headlamp washing the sight picture out.  I dont have a ILL ret on my scope anymore and light getting on the lens was making it hard to see through the eyepiece.  I had to reach up and turn it off before I made the shot that night.  soon I plan on making a video that demonstrates the importance of light control to keep a critter from spooking. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline TFC2223

• Junior Forum Member
    • http://www.redeyesops.com
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 11:42:23 PM »
10 -4 to that Ben...  Once you master light control and avoid backlighting I have found that you will increase in success and your hang ups/spooked predators become fewer.  I have a video that demonstrates this that iI use in Seminars but, I don't know how to post them on the net.  Basically I call in two reds into five feet and another to ten feet at night practicing the above and avoiding backlighting.  I also show how to walk up on a hung up predator by staying behind the light.  Nothing major but, as you practice good lighting techniques you will be more successful and find your shots being closer from what I have found.  Good post Ben. 

TFC2223 (Kirk McKendree)
Kettle Creek Calls Prostaff
HEVI-SHOT Field Staff
Kirk McKendree

RED EYES OPS

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 07:27:12 AM »
if you need help posting it tfc I would be glad to help you to upload it to youtube. 

Offline TFC2223

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 05:13:50 PM »
Ben PM sent.

Kirk McKendree

RED EYES OPS

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 07:03:03 PM »
pm replied too.  ;)

Offline edhunts5

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 08:30:18 PM »
Learn something new all the time.  I always wondered about the halo of light and after reading this post I made a shield out of large plastic cup wrapped with black electrical tape. Scored red on 1st set. maybe coincidence but sure moved the halo out past the end of the barrel. Hunting by myself all the time learn by trial and error and by filtering info from ppha.  Thanks

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 08:23:24 AM »
Thats what its all about.  Congrats on the Red.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline TFC2223

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 05:38:31 PM »
Ed 1st of many I am sure.  Way to go on the red.

TFC2223 (Kirk McKendree)
Kettle Creek Calls Prostaff
HEVI-SHOT Field Staff
Kirk McKendree

RED EYES OPS

Offline mountainfox

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • '09-10 Bobcat
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 01:53:17 PM »
So far I give the boondocks halo sheield i big thumbs up.  I recently got on for my headlamp and got to try it out this past weekend hunting.  I always had a shield on my lamp but it was a cardboard tube, and was always hitting on the car, or a tree etc and it would move it around on my head.  I like the fact that with this being flexable it just kinda bends out of the way then retakes it shape.  I definatly think its something to check out!
~mountainfox

Offline melsdad

• Junior Forum Member
    • Traditional Muzzleloading Association
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 08:01:10 PM »
Does Jeremiah make the halo shield for the Wizard II?
>>>------Brian------>

''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''

- John Wayne

District 6

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 09:12:38 PM »
I dont see it on his price list but he may be able to custom make one for ya.  the nitelite is somewhat similar to the predator light with the exception to the wire coming out the back and the rehostat on top.  I would contact him via email to find out though.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 09:22:37 PM »
Yes he does.

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 09:34:14 AM »
Just ordered one for my headlight and one gun light
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2