Author Topic: Last night  (Read 2162 times)

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
Last night
« on: October 25, 2010, 08:09:53 PM »
     My hunting partner and I went out last night. We went to a new area we have never hunted before. It looked like an old strip mine. We were about half way  to where we were going to set up and a coyote started to howl. It couldn't have been any more that 300 yards away. Real loud and clear. We set up and started with a rabbit but we never saw eyes. Next stop we saw nothing. Third spot, the same as the first. A coyote was howling up in the hollow and we had a good view threw a field to watch if it came to the call. Unfortunately, it never came in either. Fifth spot nothing. Stop number six. We set up watching a field on a hillside in front of me and another field on my right. In about two minutes we had eyes in front of me but it was still too far out to identify for a shot. Earl bumped my arm and about 50 yards away on my right a gray fox was in pursuit. I'm right handed so I had to turn in my seat and move my shooting stix in the high grass. The gray didn't stick around. It ran back to the woods line and another gray pooped out beside it. they were around 175 yards out and in a low spot so I never had a shot. They hung up. Every time we mad a call they showed that their stomach was saying go get your meal but their heads were saying no way, find something else to eat. We didn't put down ant fur but we had a great time and learned lots of good things about our new spots.
President PPHA

uncle buck

Re: Last night
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 08:13:58 PM »
Did the grays bark at you?  You know they are there now... I did not see if you guys had the Gray Fox Pup playing?  Go back and use that sound and you should get a shot...

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 08:16:06 PM »
No they just hung up out there for like 45 mintues. Tried everything to get them to come closer. Forgot about gray fox distress call.

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 04:44:39 PM »
Good then you truly were not had!!!Go back to that spot and us the Gray Fox Pup... I like JS and or Kirks. They both work like magnets...

Have your shooter post where they hung up.. Make sure the wind is blowing in that direction.. By the way that's how you get them when they do hang up and bark at you the next time around....However since you were not had I'd try the GFP. Remember they will go right for the speaker..

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 06:44:06 PM »
Thanks for the good advice UB.
President PPHA