Author Topic: Made a few stands last night  (Read 2650 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Made a few stands last night
« on: October 21, 2010, 08:57:23 AM »
I have been hearing reports from a few farmers now that they have been hearing coyotes.  I got a call at 6:30 yesterday saying they seen em a few minites before.  I grabbed my gear and was in the field at 7:30.  I started with some squeekin then did a lone howl  and waited.  After 15mins i grew impatient and used curts grizngray call.  I called on it for 5mins and caught a set of eyes 150yds out at the woodline.  He turned to his left and entered the woods not to be seen again.  Called on more field and nothing.  I took the chance to mess with my new pred light though and could id trees and stumps at 300 yds through the scope.  Making a shot at that range would be doable if the animal was allready id'd.  I popped the red lense in and could pick up stop signs at 300 yds as well.  But would only be able to id at 100yds with the red filter on.  I plan on giving it a shot without the lense on to see how the critters repond to it. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Made a few stands last night
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 10:15:03 AM »
Look forward to hearing what the animals do without a filtered light.I personally think they will spook but I've been wrong before.

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 10:44:36 AM »
My experience when I have used the white light as the shooting light is they take off as soon as the beam hits them...If anything try a amber, or blue, or green just to take away some of the intensity... Now on a Full Moon night you probably can get away with more white light then when it's  pitch dark night...

Offline TFC2223

• Junior Forum Member
    • http://www.redeyesops.com
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 12:59:44 AM »
I did the white light test last season with the Predator Light and I found that when the predator didn't have time to get conditioned to the light it typically spooked.  Since my sets vary and at times I don't have time to condition them to the light I chose to run red which has been the most consistent method for me in not spooking them.  Having said that the Predator Light is softer and does at time work without the red or amber lens but, if it fails even once for me over a red filter it failed too much.  Good Luck this season PPHA.

TFC2223 (Kirk McKendree)
Kettle Creek Calls Prostaff
HEVI-SHOT Field Staff
Kirk McKendree

RED EYES OPS

Offline TFC2223

• Junior Forum Member
    • http://www.redeyesops.com
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 01:20:20 AM »

Many variables will factor in such as brightness of the moon, how intense or soft the white light is and so on.  Some lights that are led vs standarded have done alright for me but, at the end of the day I think the red lense is tough to beat.  Low red light plus low volume equals some exciting close action for me over the years.  Even out west when I have had terrain to hunt that was more conducive to light conditioning with a white light, I at times spooked them.  Good luck on your testing Ben.  Keep me posted on your findings. 

TFC2223 (Kirk McKendree)
Kettle Creek Calls Prostaff
HEVI-SHOT Field Staff
Kirk McKendree

RED EYES OPS

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 06:54:19 AM »
Thanks for the input.  Biggest prob i think i would seriously have that would keep me from using a white light is getting mistaken for a guy jacklighting.  The farmers see red and know i am out there.  They see white the call the wco which is only a few miles from the fields i hunt and even though i am not doing anything wrong i dont need the hassle.  I  still want to try a white light on areas that are more remote though.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”