Author Topic: Dogs And Hogs  (Read 1982 times)

Offline vmaster59

• Junior Forum Member
  • Coyote One Production
    • West Tx. Varmint Hunting
Dogs And Hogs
« on: September 20, 2010, 06:43:15 PM »
Well a friend of mine Paul came over Saturday. We went to one of his places to hunt. Started off slow. So we just road around looking and talking. Late that evening stop to mace a stand where we had luck before. We set up the FX3 and the SpitFire in two diff. spots. We then started to play the same call. We would go up and with my caller and Paul's stayed the same. In just a few mins. we had a coyote coming in from our right. The wind was in are face and the sun was just over our right side. I told Paul that we had one coming in on his side. A few seconds he stop and was looking behind him. We thought there maybe a second one somewhere. We kept working the first one and then Paul told me we had a second one one my left coming in. So I turn to see him. He was behind a large bush and moving fast. So I looked through the scope and man all I seen was bush and fur. I forgot it was on 12 power. So I let one go as he went by. And by he went right on by. By that time the firs one was gone. I bark at the one running away and took a hale mary shot at about 800-900 yard. I must have got close to his tail feathers cause he kick it in high gear.

We then spooled up and move on down the road. We were going to another spot. I seen something up the road. I asked Paul if that was a calf or a hog. I pull up my rifle and looked through the scope and all I seen was the back side. kinda looked like 99er. Then she turn her head and I seen that it was a hog. So I waited for her to turn her head again and when she did I put it right behind her left ear. She went down like a ton of bricks. We were getting out of the truck to go look at the hog. When Paul yelled "there's one on my side!". I looked over the truck to see if I could find it. Man he was not joking that hog was right at the truck and getting closer to Paul. It was so close that all Paul could see in his scope was hog hair. The hog was about 3 or 4 steps from Paul and that's hog steps. He let one shot ring out and it hit the hog in his neck right behind it's head. Went down and to our surprise got up screaming and headed off. I didn't have a shot and Paul as well as mine were single shots. So we went tracking in the thick brush. Following the blood trail and some tracks. It was a long walk when we came up to a fence. Paul went under the fence and I went back to get the pickup. When I got back to where Paul was at he was out in the brush aways. I went to help him track the hog. When I came up on about a 4 ft. rattler. Well I don't hear to good and me and rattler don't get along. It was that time of the day for them to be out. So I put two rounds in him as he was coming at me. I told Paul that's enough I am going back to the truck. He was at the tall grass line where the hog went in. When he decided to call it. The sun was almost down and the rattlers were starting to move. That put a end two a good day hunting with a good friend. It don't get much better than that.

Thanks Paul for a great time.

-----------------CLICK HERE-----------------

uncle buck

Re: Dogs And Hogs
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 11:51:25 PM »
I enjoyed that story...that adventure could make it to print in Fur Fish & Game.. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Someday I'm going to go to Texas and hunt coyotes, hogs, and rattlers too....

Offline vmaster59

• Junior Forum Member
  • Coyote One Production
    • West Tx. Varmint Hunting
Re: Dogs And Hogs
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 12:34:00 AM »
Thanks UB. But you can have all the rattlers you want LOL.

Clint

-----------------CLICK HERE-----------------