Author Topic: TIKKA rifle shotgun combo  (Read 22801 times)

uncle buck

TIKKA rifle shotgun combo
« on: September 13, 2010, 06:11:53 PM »
I have never heard anyone complain about the TIKKA rifle and shotgun combo gun..   The ones I heard off are the 222/12 gauge.. I don't own one but know hunters that own not just one but 2 or even 3 of them...

How many times have you heard someone say "I wish I had the shotgun instead of the rifle!" or vice Versa they "Wished they had the rifle instead of a shotgun!" Also going out of county to hunt it's nice to just take one gun... Daytime hunting yep the rifle shotgun combo would be perfect..

I have missed a lot of predators, fox and coyotes because I had the wrong gun...If you could just find the other rifle and shotgun combos to shoot real good..

Heard many a bad thing about the rifle and shotgun combo guns that Rem took over...Called Spartan...Once fired the scopes tend to get knocked off..  The Savage 24 V....never heard anything bad about them but they sure are a clumsy gun..

I often wondered what if you took the over and under to a gunsmith and had him affixed the strongest mount possible on the Spartan...I know
 when the Spartan brand was owned by the Russians those combos were good guns...   

So if you ever see a TIKKA over and under rifle shotgun combo it might be a good gun to buy????Even if it has the 222 Rem as the CF caliber instead of the 223.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: TIKKA rifle shotgun combo
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 07:52:48 PM »
Tikka's are hard to come by and when they do they don't last long.  I had a chance at one a couple of years ago and passed because i thought the guy was asking too much.  big mistake. 

the hound guys around my house only use that gun, they have the sent out to be rechoked, some say they can kill a coyote out to 75 yards with them.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 07:54:01 PM »
the one i want to get and is very hard to come by is the newer black savage model 24, 22hornet/12guage.  if anyone ever sees that one please let me know.

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 08:00:50 PM »
I  have the black 24V but it's a 223/12.  I am going to make that my go to coyote gun for daytime use or over snow if twilight prevails.....I'm glad I took it to a gunsmith...He put the heaviest ever mounts on it.. However it does not have a Muller scope on it.. It has a Weaver non illuminated scope...
I need to shoot it in with the Combined Technologies Silvertip 50 grain bullets so it becomes a fur gun...As you know you can buy factory Winchester 223 Silvertip 50 grainer on the shelf too...

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 08:40:14 AM »
IDk my russian combo still has problems with getting the scope to stay put and that was before remington rebadged em.  I havent done anything to it yet and prob should get it put back together but I am starting to like my rifle more and more for any place that is too open for a shotgun.  even in some tight terrain when I feel a critter is gonna make his way down a trail straight at me I feel more comfortable with a rifle. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 03:07:40 PM »
How much you willing to pay Scott?  I have one.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 03:14:13 PM »
how much you asking?

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 05:02:03 PM »
I don't care to sell it so for me to let it go I would need $900.00.  It has a Simmons Black Diamond 1.5 X 5 Scope and a thumbhole sling. The model is a Black 24 F, sorry if I misled you.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 05:47:23 PM »
Scott, any gun store can order one for you.
President PPHA

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 06:24:59 PM »
The Spartans? um wonder if you all went to a peep sight would that make it a good daytime gun or for hunting at night over twilight conditions over snow... Wonder if the peep would allow you to kill things out to 75 to 100 yards with the rifle and or the shotgun? Granted that you could not use it for 200 to 250 yard gun but under the right conditions maybe a peep sight would work out for close shooting and in the thick stuff and hold it's ZERO??????

In the 223 (60 grain Partition bullets)  configuration and 12 gauge could also be used for deer too with the peep sight..
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 07:19:16 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 08:00:21 PM »
Thats how I got mine.  Ordered it.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 08:04:24 PM »
Scott, any gun store can order one for you.

I would but the don't make it anymore, discontinued about 3 or 4 years ago. 

i am going to have to pass on that one Tim, I wouldn't get rid of it either. 

uncle buck

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 12:08:06 AM »
Like I said in the post above...While the Savage 24 V is probably better then the Spartan...It does feel like your holding a piece of a log in your hand...It just does not have that good feel...Like a Remington Fireball.....If you don't mind that it quite heavy and awkward then it's OK..
I suppose like most guns if you used it a lot too you would get accustomed to it and it would fell like a part of you. 
 Probably the Tikka would be the gun to get instead of any of the rifle shotgun combos out there..

Probably best to save your bread and watch for someone wanting to get rid of a Tikka O/U.. You won't find them probably at gun shows but maybe someone at your place of work or you will hear about one being for sale from a friend...However don't be afraid to get one if it's  a 222 Rem and not a 223.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 07:19:36 AM »
I know the tikkas go for a pretty penny.  I would love to have one.  but the $ factor will prob keep me from owning one for a while. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 08:18:08 AM »
Like I said in the post above...While the Savage 24 V is probably better then the Spartan...It does feel like your holding a piece of a log in your hand...It just does not have that good feel...Like a Remington Fireball.....If you don't mind that it quite heavy and awkward then it's OK..
I suppose like most guns if you used it a lot too you would get accustomed to it and it would fell like a part of you. 
 Probably the Tikka would be the gun to get instead of any of the rifle shotgun combos out there..

Probably best to save your bread and watch for someone wanting to get rid of a Tikka O/U.. You won't find them probably at gun shows but maybe someone at your place of work or you will hear about one being for sale from a friend...However don't be afraid to get one if it's  a 222 Rem and not a 223.

when i hunt during the day i often carry the .17 and the shotgun, it is a pain but it has worked out for in the past.