Author Topic: Who says you cant call em in, in over 10mph wind?  (Read 4012 times)

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
  • I am NOT the Whitefeather on HuntingPA.com!!
Who says you cant call em in, in over 10mph wind?
« on: September 09, 2010, 08:34:15 AM »
  Last night I called in two coyotes with a wicked crosswind using the distressed woodpecker.  Walking in the 400 yards the wind was at my back.  Figured for sure any critter would smell me for a mile at least.  Than the hay fever kicked in and my head was clogging and building pressure like a balloon.  I kept sneezing and than really worried I would scare all animals away.  About 8PM is the time.
Set the caller upwind and I set up north of it with a a panoramic view of a very large field.  Tree line at my back and one at the other end.  Brought a 1M spot light with red transparent tape over it, and my Promos 100yard scope light.  Waited 1/2 hr in silence before attempting a call.  Started on the woodpecker for about 10 seconds, than would wait 5-10 minutes.  Tried scanning the field with the spot but with the tape over the lens it actually created a circle of red around me instead of illuminating the field.  I knew this wasn't going to work.  I called with the bird and remained silent another time, and this time took half of the tape off the lens.  Remember now wind was blow in pretty good...held the spot over my head and lit up the field...at my 1 o clock was a coyote about 10 yards away and looking up wind and away from me.  I realized he heard the bird but couldn't find it.  He didn't flinch when the spot came on, just kept slowly trotting away from me.  He than turned and saw the light.  I put the spot down and tried to find him with the gun light, than looked through scope.  He was starting to circle to the downwind.  I kept loosing him in the scope because the rifle light only reaches out about 40yards and the coyote by the time was in a 110yard radius circling.  I was would make sounds with my mouth which stopped him every time, but I would turn on the spot quickly to find him, than use the scope.  By the time I would get on him with the scope he would look away and move.  All I could see with the rifle scope is eyes.  Anyway he got away, but as I panned I saw another coyote about 150yards upwind, but took off when he saw the spot light..  Really burns me, I need a good light set up.  Or at least a second person to hold the damn light.  At least I finally saw a coyote!

Sorry for the long post.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 08:45:47 AM by Whitefeather »
Chris Deckard  District 2

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Who says you cant call em in, in over 10mph wind?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 09:04:59 AM »
sounds like you are having fun.  lights are the biggest part of predator hunting, if someone made the perfect light setup they would make a ton of money.  one thing i would say is to find the right lights and practice at night will help you when you are in the field.  I have two reflective eyes tacked up behind the house at about 75 yards that i test my lights and scope on, they have helped.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 09:08:20 AM »
also, if you are calling them in that close it is easier to use a shotgun at night, just post 100 yards downwind of the caller and you should put one in your lap.  a bobber light on the end of the shotgun and a headlamp is all you need. 

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 10:09:43 AM »
Problem is...I dont own a shotgun :)

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 12:24:36 PM »
a used single shot 12 guage would be a good investement for a predator hunter. 

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 12:44:26 PM »
Scott is correct all you need is a cheap NEF single shot break open 12 gauge shotgun...Many trapper fleamarkets happening across the state. I think there is one soon just off RT 209 fair grounds above Lehighton, Pa... Also PPHA Expo and also the large trapper fleamarket. Check the event area of here for the specifics.. I see 12 gauge single shotgun for sale at these events all the time.. why even one of those Mossberg bolt action 12 gauge would work...

Neat that you called one in...Um if you would have had a Muller illuminated scope..$148.00 and a little bit better light you would have had that coyote for sure.. Check the Muller red dot recticle scope out here:
 http://www.eabco.com/  (on this date....9-9-10 looks like this site is down for maintenance).
There are also places in Pa that sale Muller products too..

Muller scope web link is listed below:

http://www.muelleroptics.com/
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 12:54:38 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 01:30:42 PM »
Being that it was windy you used the correct sound too...Love woodpecker sounds because as you know when birds are a hurting..They just let her rip for long periods.. No periods of silence..When they hurt they let you know... So it's one of the sounds...bird sounds that you can play for long periods of time without making the predators think it's not the real thing...Does not have to be ID to woodpecker either... Could be the Squealing Bird, Meadowlark, Superbird, Flicker, all bird sounds...

I have been considering of getting a used Model 38 and just load it up with birdsounds... Model 38 has 8 sounds on it.. You would not need a remote since you just let the bird sounds rip for long periods of times..
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 01:34:03 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 01:53:10 PM »
Thanks for you're help in the PM's too UB.  I had taken you're advice in caller placement and sound.

Offline jaybird

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 02:08:16 PM »
Scott is correct all you need is a cheap NEF single shot break open 12 gauge shotgun...Many trapper fleamarkets happening across the state. I think there is one soon just off RT 209 fair grounds above Lehighton, Pa... Also PPHA Expo and also the large trapper fleamarket. Check the event area of here for the specifics.. I see 12 gauge single shotgun for sale at these events all the time.. why even one of those Mossberg bolt action 12 gauge would work...

Neat that you called one in...Um if you would have had a Muller illuminated scope..$148.00 and a little bit better light you would have had that coyote for sure.. Check the Muller red dot recticle scope out here:
 http://www.eabco.com/  (on this date....9-9-10 looks like this site is down for maintenance).
There are also places in Pa that sale Muller products too..

Muller scope web link is listed below:

http://www.muelleroptics.com/

I second that... i just added mueller's 3.5-10x44 illuminated reticle to my 25-06... gotta love that dot and nice glass for the price too

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 04:50:18 PM »
Jaybird you will be buying more Mullers down the road...By the way they are guaranteed for life...

Offline vmaster59

• Junior Forum Member
  • Coyote One Production
    • West Tx. Varmint Hunting
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 06:46:10 PM »
"Who says you cant call em in, in over 10mph wind?" If we waited for the wind to be lower than 10 mph. We woundn't get much calling in around here.

Clint

-----------------CLICK HERE-----------------