Author Topic: .17 fireball chuck at close range.  (Read 1892 times)

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
.17 fireball chuck at close range.
« on: August 20, 2010, 08:12:46 AM »
forrest had a shot at a chuck last night that was only about 50 yards away, i told him to shoot it in the shoulder to see what would happen at that range.  we have been shooting chucks this year with the fireball but most of them were between 100 yards and 200 yards and we haven't been getting any exit holes but we haven't shot any at this close range so i wanted to see what happend.  so he sets up and the chuck stands up and he shoots and it just fell over.  we went over and and there was no exit hole, had a tough time telling where he hit it but after awhile we found the hole in the shoulder.  the shoulder he hit was destroyed and the opposite shoulder was broken but not like the entry shoulder.  the chest cavity felt like jellow and shredded bone.  the more and more we shoot with this caliber the more i like it. 

uncle buck

Re: .17 fireball chuck at close range.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 12:26:30 PM »
I got bored shooting chucks with the 22 center fire.  Stop chuck hunting for about 15 years...I purchased a 17 Rem 700 BDL and started chuck hunting with it...Killed many many many chucks with it..Never ripped one up on the outside... But when you pick them up to look at them you can feel what went on in the inside of the chuck.....