Author Topic: When do you guys put the light on...  (Read 2850 times)

Offline icecube

• Senior Forum Member
When do you guys put the light on...
« on: August 04, 2010, 04:55:15 AM »
When hunting in the dark do you keep the light on or turn it on when you think you hear something or see some movement....ED

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: When do you guys put the light on...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 05:02:48 AM »
I keep my red lens light on as soon as I leave the pickup truck, until I return.
You can see to walk, and you can see 'eyes' while you are approaching your setup.
A critter can't see pass your red lens, so you will be hidden for the most part.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 06:14:59 AM »
same as Hern for me.

Offline catmando

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 09:52:45 AM »
same here, i went to a dennis kirk seminar 25 or so years ago and havent changed a thing i do since, except i miss more foxes now that my eyes are older.

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 04:07:11 PM »
Like everyone else you should keep your light on right when you depart your vehicle and until you get back... There are numerous reason of course.  People touched on one already you can see a predator feeding in a field as you approach and you can see a late comer when your departing.

Safety too...When hunting with a partner..Once that person turns their light off and they are now hidden in the darkness...OK..now in comes a predator..You shoot it and maybe shoot the person who shut his light off.  Or you can't shoot because you don't know just where the other person is.. Are they in the line of fire..I might post someone 150 yards down wind of my calling.. Now when they turn their light off...That's a mighty big area that if I shoot in that I might hit them.

New hunters think they are doing you a favor when they turn your light off they barrowed.. They tell you they are saving energy.. However they are creating an unsafe environment.. I remember one new hunter last year.. When I told him about it..He got kind of upset with me for telling him to put it back on.  He gave me that. "But But but but but I'm trying to save battery life for you!"

A potential deer poacher might think your a deer..Having the red light on at  79% at least know your  not Rodolph? The other 21% probably still believe in Santa Claus so they still might shoot you anyway.

Offline vmaster59

• Junior Forum Member
  • Coyote One Production
    • West Tx. Varmint Hunting
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 10:46:12 PM »
We keep the ligkt on.

Clint

-----------------CLICK HERE-----------------