Author Topic: $3 headlamp.  (Read 6352 times)

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
$3 headlamp.
« on: July 19, 2010, 09:28:58 PM »
Yes, I bought a cheap Led headlamp at the flea market. It seems plenty bright enough and has an adjustable strap. Cheap plastic with 2 thin wires Not sure how it would hold up in bitter cold. Runs on 3 AA batteries. I have to make a red lens for it and it will be a back up while my nite lite is on charge.

FayetteNam

Offline Lackawannafox

• Junior Forum Member
Re: $3 headlamp.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 10:29:26 PM »
looks good would be good for those clse shooting greys check it on your tail lghts 2 see what kind of distance you can get

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 10:52:36 PM »
Predators don't know the difference between a $3.00 light and a $300.00 light. As long as it works when you turn it on is what counts. Good luck with it. That might be the light you use to drop that 50 pound coyote this winter.
President PPHA

Offline ColonelAngus

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 11:44:01 AM »
What do you make your red lens out of, and how do you fasten it to the light? I have a similar one I use to get into my stand in archery I wouldn't mind having a cover for it if I want to use it for fox.

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 01:58:25 PM »
I like that the head light in the picture has multiple LED lights.. It might work?

This past fall I got busted by 3 different coyotes because I went the cheap route and was trying out these what I call cash register head lights. just when I was going to pull the trigger they disappeared into the darkness.   Also at times I even told people on here that I was seeing shadows and no eyes when I was hunting fox..  

I do keep a couple of these in my hunting pocket or bag should my other Nitelite or Western River light fail.

Let us know how the multiple heads work come fall?... Stay away from the cash register head lights that have just one or two red and or white lights on it...Coyotes will bust you....They just don't pick up the fox eyes that well either.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:59:30 PM by uncle buck »

Offline vmaster59

• Junior Forum Member
  • Coyote One Production
    • West Tx. Varmint Hunting
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 10:58:05 PM »
This is what we use when we don't have a filter for a light.  http://www.sri-supplies.com/multi-products.cfm/category_id/4302   Just spray it on in light coats till you get the darkness you want. Easy to touch up as well.

Clint

-----------------CLICK HERE-----------------

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 03:30:59 PM »
What do you make your red lens out of, and how do you fasten it to the light? I have a similar one I use to get into my stand in archery I wouldn't mind having a cover for it if I want to use it for fox.
I buy supplements from GNC that comes in red plastic. I'll just trace the lens and replace the clear one.

I know it will work pretty good just from the experience of used a 2 red led headlamp without the mirrored backing and catching fox eyes and tail lights. This will just be a back up when my nitelite is charging or out of bulbs. It would make a good scanning light because it is extremely lite. $3 headlamp, I couldn't pass it up. They have a whole box. I will probably go back and buy a couple more in case I ever take a newbie out.
FayetteNam

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 04:39:44 PM »
The multiple lights on this might work out fine...Might be just what you need so you don't see shadows and catch the eyes going across the field.  Notice the Nitelite sales a Wheat light with all these multiple LED heads on it.  Should someone want to upgrade their Wheat Lights to the multiple head LED type..

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
  • I am NOT the Whitefeather on HuntingPA.com!!
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 10:21:24 AM »
I am curious to see how you made out with that LED headlight.  Did you try it yet?  How far can you honestly make out anything?  What did you end up using to make it red?.  I tried red transparent tape on a 1,000,000 candlepower spot light and it made the light to dark.  Tried using the red transparent material from an EXIT sign, and that also is too dark.  I think if you cannot see through the transparent material, it is too dark.  My spot light will pick up eyes at over 250yards.  with the red on it, not even 25 yards.
Chris Deckard  District 2

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 09:52:59 AM »
You need to do what Clint recommended using the red dykem to paint the lens.. Is a red Sharpie equal too the red dykem?  I don't know...I would think the red dykem used to lay out machine shop jobs to scribe on would be darker and better.

Go to A C Moores or Michael's craft store and purchase a roll of red cellophane that people wrap fruit baskets and such with..That would be better then the auto tape. It might not look nice but you could layer the cellophane until you get the best illumination.. By the way they sale Yellow cellophane too..Maybe for shooting purposes you want to change from red to yellow which will give you more illumination. By the way they have green and blue too if you want to experiment with the different colors of cellophane.

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 09:56:03 AM »
Cellophane wont melt from the high heat??

When you say yellow, do you mean Amber?

uncle buck

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 10:09:47 AM »
This is what we use when we don't have a filter for a light.  http://www.sri-supplies.com/multi-products.cfm/category_id/4302  Just spray it on in light coats till you get the darkness you want. Easy to touch up as well.

Clint

Thanks for the link Clint..I'm going to get me some of this stuff.  One of those cheap Wal-Mart hand held Wal-Mart lights that look like the old Foxpro model 38 body will make an excellent predator shooting light.. Figure they cost $3.97 and they even come with the lantern battery for that price.
I know of a few Pa hunters who play around with them a bit too.  That would be Bigben and a guy who no longer visits here by signing in..
I think they were putting on a Radio Shack toggle switch to activate it when it was time to shoot?  I think it had a lumen rating of 80.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 10:41:52 AM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 10:13:21 AM »
Cellophane wont melt from the high heat??

When you say yellow, do you mean Amber?
Yes amber....yellow AKA amber is used on full moon nights and on dark nights when you have snow on the ground..
You shooting light does not have to be red. The great Dennis Kirk shyed away from red lights and went to using yellow or amber lens totally because you could see more... Negative side......to amber or yellow... all predators eyes will be white like diamonds... The red you can tell by the color of them what the targeted animal usually is...
As far as it melting the cellophane.  I just don't know about that...If it gets extremely hot it could melt it..

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 10:13:38 AM »
i was also told you can buy a rechargeable 6v latern battery and have yourself a good light for under 15 bucks.  

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 12:04:03 PM »
Something you fella's might want to check out...I just bought at Wallmart a 3,000,000 candle power spot light made by Brinkman.  Comes with both car and AC charger, and BONUS!!!three (3) lenses that snap on.  Blue, Amber, Red.  The handle is yellow, so I just rubber taped it black.  I have an extra camera tri-pod that goes up to 5' tall.  I atttached a pipe mount (off my shifter kart) to the top of the tri-pod.  I will be able to than place the spotlight on the tri-pod.  Tri-pod is aluminum alloy and very light.  I am camo painting it as we speak, so it will basically just look like a small tree.