Author Topic: One more thing for me to think about,,,,  (Read 2295 times)

Offline beastman

One more thing for me to think about,,,,
« on: July 13, 2010, 04:04:15 PM »
I have been practising my "rough talk" so in case I run into any long blonde haired bigfoot's I would be prepared to defend myself, but a long time hunting partner of mine found himself between a mother bear and three cubs the other day and to quote him he ran and screamed like a little girl.   Apparently this sow has been hanging around this area and has so far to date she has chased an amish buggy and some neighboring amish kids who were playing in the woods.  I have a favorite spot less then a mile from there so I'm thinking my head will be on a spindle at least in the early part of the season...
Now I've read on this forum and others about hunters calling in bears unintentionally and it all seems pretty cool until your the one it's popping it's teeth at.  I got to wondering if any of you guys have ever found yourself in this situation.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: One more thing for me to think about,,,,
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 06:20:10 PM »
Be careful out there!!
If she's coming into a prey distress, she should be in hunting mode.
If her cubs are with her, and she winds you, she might go into "protection" mode.
I've never been charged by a bear, but I'll tell you, I might go into protection mode myself

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 08:32:04 AM »
Remember watching a survival show...They stressed, black bears...if they attack you at night it's real bad because they are in a eating mode then. So they said don't be dumb and try to play dead thing...Fight for your life..
daytime you might stumble upon one walking in the woods.. While bad if the sow is with her cubs it's not as bad if they have food on their mind like at night time..You always here about someone being pulled out of a tent at night time.. See they are looking for food then..

I replied to another post on here before about calling in black bear.  The two and the one Dreamcatcher called in were growling....Looks like they did not like the sound of our calling sounds... In my case it was the dying rabbit...Dreamcatcher was mixing it up a bit with different sounds..  

« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 08:55:49 AM by uncle buck »

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 11:14:41 AM »
UB, thanks for your post. For some reason I never thought of it that way. That's some good old common sense. I will think of it that way from now on.
President PPHA

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 06:15:19 PM »
i have yet to call one in at night and i don't think it would be too much fun.  I have called a couple in during the day and they just showed up and seemed to be just curious.  the thing i think about bears they are tough because you can't tell their mood unless they are popping their teeth.  the bears i have called in have come into distress, rodent was one and if i remember correct screamn rabbit was the other.