Author Topic: Renny, Beaver put up  (Read 4233 times)

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Renny, Beaver put up
« on: April 18, 2010, 11:55:10 PM »
Screw the first day of Trout, Renny....
z, Big Guy, Zagman and I met at Pa. Mink's home on Saturday to put up z's Beaver and a couple of Zag's....
We put up alot of Beaver in several hours, drank a few brews and had lots of laughs. We stayed up late Saturday nite talk'n & laugh'n and had a few more brews. Sure is great being around guys that know critters and how to kill and handle 'em.

[L. to R.) Pa. Mink, Zagman & Big Guy hard a work....

(L. to R.) z and Hern did the board'n, here's a few.
Background (hang'n from rafters) is a Pa. Mink's high dollar Coyote and 2 Greys....

Oh yea, Zag doesn't travel anywhere without Coyotes in the back of the truck....

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Renny, Beaver put up
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 07:04:24 AM »
Very Nice!!!
Looks like a great time

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 08:02:36 AM »
Nice work Hern.  I gotta catch me one of them Beaver some day!
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 08:10:49 AM »
L4F says-
I gotta catch me one
No problem, come up next season or take me along to your spot.

Ole Renny was a no-show this weekend, we figured he would go Trout fish'n.
But he would have brought another 20 or so Beaver to work up and we didn't need more work to cut into drink'n time  ;D

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 08:41:31 AM »
Hern,
How long do you spend on a good size beaver?
and do you leave them cased till the fleshing is done?

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 09:29:12 AM »
flesh'n... 35 minutes (never really time myself or the above guys) but I think that was the average for this weekend.

no case skin... we all talked about that too. None of us case skin Beaver. But we all tried at one time or another and went back split'n up the middle.

Over the years I've been in alot of fur sheds and put up fur with many a guy. We all have our methods...flesh on angle/flesh staight down, you like your knife/he likes his knife...
You know what I am saying.
But one thing...we can still learn from one another. The above guys are careful what they do and want all critters clean and uniform. That's the bottom line.
One thing I noticed when we were work'n the Beaver...Long periods of silence. Could only here knives scrap'n and nails being tacked. Talk about being focused or just mad at having to do up dangburn Beaver...LOL.

Offline furbug

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 10:10:15 AM »
Ifn your wanting coyotes, trappin is the way to go.
Purchasing a E-caller, and going to seminars, given by Western hunters is  nothing but time wasted, in PA. . A good mouth call is all a hunter needs.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 07:30:22 PM »
flesh'n... 35 minutes (never really time myself or the above guys) but I think that was the average for this weekend.

no case skin... we all talked about that too. None of us case skin Beaver. But we all tried at one time or another and went back split'n up the middle.

Over the years I've been in alot of fur sheds and put up fur with many a guy. We all have our methods...flesh on angle/flesh staight down, you like your knife/he likes his knife...
You know what I am saying.
But one thing...we can still learn from one another. The above guys are careful what they do and want all critters clean and uniform. That's the bottom line.
One thing I noticed when we were work'n the Beaver...Long periods of silence. Could only here knives scrap'n and nails being tacked. Talk about being focused or just mad at having to do up dangburn Beaver...LOL.

I like to case mine,
the belly comes off easy anyway, and it seems so much cleaner to me.
But like you said, to each his own.
35 min sounds like a good time for a big one, lotta knifin on those gristle backed leviathans.
I've been using a wire wheel on the heads to speed things up.
I just skinned out a few tails that I want to tan in the last few days.

I know what you mean about the silence, once you get in that zone.
Most guys work fur alone and don't talk while they scrape,( at least the normal ones don't)
It may be a hard habit to break

Renny

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 03:27:59 AM »
I'm sure I got called every name in the book!  All my beavs are done.. done... done..............!!